Not Planned [Discord] Forum Notifs in discord.

4g0tt3nSou1

All you had to do was follow the D*** Train, CJ
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
1,206
With the power of web hooks, it would be nice if there was a channel that could be made that informs people when threads are created. We do this for breaking news, but maybe a channel named #forums would be nice. Any new threads posted get a notification there, no pings, and stripped of Amy so people can't do @everyone in a thread and ping the entire server. If you watch a thread, discord PMs could be sent onnew replies, with customization as how to notify you, and how frequent. Private sub forums would only do DMs and wouldn't be listed in #forums.

This would be nice in case say the mail goes out again.
I could see utilizing this for lots of things, I personally would like it if I am mentioned on the forums it has the ability to mention me on discord, again following preferences for how frequent to update or how much it should ping.
 
Upvote 1
Seems unnecessary.

It‘s 100% already possible to get notifications either on the Forums or through Email when new threads are created. Considering the forums are already a platform, I don’t think it’s necessary to more or less spam discord with every thread thats created. Either way you’ll have to go on the forums to interact with the thread.

Just seems like a lot of work for something super niche; and that already has similar functionality.
 
Except it's almost trivial to create a webhook, takes like 5 mins assuming your API is easy to interface with. Channel could be made visible with role only, so as not to spam the discord, as it is opt-in Not to mention, we have had several email outages in the last month or two. I missed alerts that were critical during one of the outages. Why not offer the option for those who want it? Opt-in style.
 
Except it's almost trivial to create a webhook, takes like 5 mins assuming your API is easy to interface with. Channel could be made visible with role only, so as not to spam the discord, as it is opt-in Not to mention, we have had several email outages in the last month or two. I missed alerts that were critical during one of the outages. Why not offer the option for those who want it? Opt-in style.
Except this isn't trivial. It would require modifying XF source, not interacting with the XF api. These events aren't listenable. On top of this, there would have to be abuse prevention (filters for @everyone tags, inappropriate references, advertising, etc), ratelimiting concerns, all on top of just adding an entirely new thing that brings more concerns to keeping it up through xf updates, discord updates, etc.

And with what MSWS said, you're just pushing this notification to another platform. Either way you have to have discord open to see it, why not just have the forums open too? Discord sends you a notification perhaps? So does the forums. The forums have had outages? So does discord.

So yea I don't think this is plausible unfortunately ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
You are telling me its not trivial to have a JS add-on added to XF that checks if new content is added, and sends it in format to a web hook? A little RegEx and pinging is solved? All one would have to do is poll the recent posts section got updates that are not in any blacklisted sub forum, put the content in readable fashion, regex some pings and send it out the door to discord.

Unless discord changes the API for web hooks for some reason, the simple JS add-on would stay up to date. Hell, if you want to be particularly lazy, rather than poll any data, just take a screenshot of the latest entry to the recent posts and compare it against itself, and just send the screenshot. Then you could even skip Reyes because it just sends a screenshot. As for content moderation we should be doing this anyways, so I fail how to see this as new.

As to what MSWS stated. I'm using an outage as a use case. You are out and about going about your day, and a critical alert is sent regarding the forums via email. However the email service is down, and you are on mobile. No notification is delivered to your mobile because the email is down. But discord saves the day, and you got the notification sent there! Now the urgent business was attended to and dealt with before an issue could be created.

Not everyone has the foresight to message both the forums and discord, and yes; there are things that might prove time critical that need a response asap! If done right this could mean everything.

I'm not asking for thus right away. It's not difficult to do and its not like its never been done, hell I'm sure there is a XF plugin already built and maintained by someone else that you could find and use.

I've worked with XF, it isn't an alien language or not interfaceable.
I don't care if this is forced on the bottom of the pile. But I fail to see how offering more options is some unreasonable thing. There are many use cases that people could benifit front this, as a redundancy or as a primary way of delivering notifications. Or maybe for specific things like posts from their game group, PMs, or whatever they please.

Why not make it a race? I'll build a Jacky solution without access to XF's back end which you guys WOULD HAVE to do it right, and deliver a solution. You guys do the same. Either way the community wins. Nobody loses from this.
 
Two second Google search; here is an already built plugin that'd do this and more. Turn off ban and rank syncing in favor of maul, and this will work.
You are fronting like this is not plausible. I present you plausibility.

https://xenforo.com/community/resou...DfXGX.YH56o-1632868770-0-gqNtZGzNAhCjcnBszQiR

Again found this with a basic Google search, I'm not saying use exactly this, and it might not completely fit our needs, but please dont excuse something off as something that you'd need to dedicate a ton of manpower to.

I don't mean to be overly defensive but like I fail to see why not. Why not continue to better the forums with new features. Even if they might only be used by a thousand people out of the hundred thousand members we have. Why not continue to better things, No one loses or has a negative experience.

We have the power and the team to make an eGO ready solution.
 
Except this isn't trivial. It would require modifying XF source, not interacting with the XF api. These events aren't listenable. On top of this, there would have to be abuse prevention (filters for @everyone tags, inappropriate references, advertising, etc), ratelimiting concerns, all on top of just adding an entirely new thing that brings more concerns to keeping it up through xf updates, discord updates, etc.

And with what MSWS said, you're just pushing this notification to another platform. Either way you have to have discord open to see it, why not just have the forums open too? Discord sends you a notification perhaps? So does the forums. The forums have had outages? So does discord.

So yea I don't think this is plausible unfortunately ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You are telling me its not trivial to have a JS add-on added to XF that checks if new content is added, and sends it in format to a web hook? A little RegEx and pinging is solved? All one would have to do is poll the recent posts section got updates that are not in any blacklisted sub forum, put the content in readable fashion, regex some pings and send it out the door to discord.

Unless discord changes the API for web hooks for some reason, the simple JS add-on would stay up to date. Hell, if you want to be particularly lazy, rather than poll any data, just take a screenshot of the latest entry to the recent posts and compare it against itself, and just send the screenshot. Then you could even skip Reyes because it just sends a screenshot. As for content moderation we should be doing this anyways, so I fail how to see this as new.

As to what MSWS stated. I'm using an outage as a use case. You are out and about going about your day, and a critical alert is sent regarding the forums via email. However the email service is down, and you are on mobile. No notification is delivered to your mobile because the email is down. But discord saves the day, and you got the notification sent there! Now the urgent business was attended to and dealt with before an issue could be created.

Not everyone has the foresight to message both the forums and discord, and yes; there are things that might prove time critical that need a response asap! If done right this could mean everything.

I'm not asking for thus right away. It's not difficult to do and its not like its never been done, hell I'm sure there is a XF plugin already built and maintained by someone else that you could find and use.

I've worked with XF, it isn't an alien language or not interfaceable.
I don't care if this is forced on the bottom of the pile. But I fail to see how offering more options is some unreasonable thing. There are many use cases that people could benifit front this, as a redundancy or as a primary way of delivering notifications. Or maybe for specific things like posts from their game group, PMs, or whatever they please.

Why not make it a race? I'll build a Jacky solution without access to XF's back end which you guys WOULD HAVE to do it right, and deliver a solution. You guys do the same. Either way the community wins. Nobody loses from this.
This is absolutely do-able, and relatively easily, however this is DEFINITELY not something we will be looking into soon (due to the massive pile of tasks that need to be completed beforehand).

For a concept, this isn't bad, but I do think it would be better to do individual PMs for people's alerts, that way it's exactly tied into someone's alert feed. We could build this feature into the MAUL bot, but like I said, this would be something for much later.
 
This is absolutely do-able, and relatively easily, however this is DEFINITELY not something we will be looking into soon (due to the massive pile of tasks that need to be completed beforehand).

For a concept, this isn't bad, but I do think it would be better to do individual PMs for people's alerts, that way it's exactly tied into someone's alert feed. We could build this feature into the MAUL bot, but like I said, this would be something for much later.
I 1000000% agree and think that's the best course of action. This 100% should be added to the bottom of the pile. Glad you mentioned MAUL bot, definitely something within the realms of something that could be added to that.

Thanks for the feedback!
 
+1 good idea in my opinion, nice reasoning 4gotten
 

Latest posts

Back
Top