Military Veterans:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I served in the Canadian Naval Reserves out of high school, 26 years ago, aboard the HMCS Scotian as an Able Seaman, then Leading Seaman before I received an Honorable Discharge almost two years in. Easily the most rewarding job I've ever had, it employed me full time over the two summers and part-time while I was in university in Halifax at Dalhousie. I was occasionally in some small training exercises that took us along the Eastern seaboard as far south as New York or through the St.Lawrence seaway to Montreal, but mostly stationed on base in Halifax. Best experience during training was firing the Sterling smg, with its long clip out of the left side and the heavy but powerful FN rifle similar to the K98.
 
US Navy--1984 to 1990...Boiler Technition 2nd class...USS Tripoli LPH-10 and USS Marvin Shields FF-1066...glad it over but don't regret it...
 
5 years as artiliary support unit. United States Army. Currently in Ft Riley KS. Just got back Feb 20th, 2009 from my 3rd deployment.

Also like to take a quick moment to say thank you to all my borthers and sisters in arms. America would not be free w/o us!
 
Congratulations on the award! I'm proud to be in a clan with such respectable, courageous members! Thank you for your service and again, congratulations on the award!

-MkiZzLe
 
U.S. Army Military Police Corps; 1989-2000.
SRT - "SWAT"
PSD - Protective Services Detail
MPI - Military Police Investigations
K-9 - Dog Handler

Count in duty stations all over the place and TDY's to hell and gone not to mention Somalia,
Central America and Yugo. I was busy.
 
Fort Riley

Currently in Ft Riley KS. Just got back Feb 20th, 2009 from my 3rd deployment.

I was stationed there with the 1st ID from Apr '89 to Jan '92. Never thought I'd ever be happy to see that place...until I got back from Desert Storm.

Welcome home brother.
 
I was enlisted in the USAF as a computer programmer, currently on IRR.
 
wow military vets huh?
that is very impressive, i never knew the tf2 gaming community was so diverse and far reaching
hats off to you indeed veterans

all the more pleasure in gaming with thee.
 
Turning over the watch

Well, I officially leave the Navy on May 15th:

He cast his soul to the wind, and let his spirit free.
And his life was set on course, with a submarine decree.

Society had many rules, no way he would live by.
No commuting to an office, no wearing suit and tie.

No time to conform, no time for kids and wife.
The sea was to be his home, the service was his life.

If only he could tell, of the sights that he had seen.
Of the seas that he had sailed, on that fine old submarine.

But his tales will go untold, because of history past.
Of lessons paid in blood, the "Silent Service" it was cast.

Though the days drift into years, the memories do not fade.
Of good boats and tough missions, and the sacrifices made.

Of Silver Dolphins and great shipmates, and moonless dark sea nights.
Of travel to exotic lands, and many bewildering sites.

O? to hear the claxon sound, his friends they do not know.
He prays to once again, go where Submariners go.

Each year he grows more restless, the salt flows through his veins.
But the depths are for the young, not the old with many pains.

His heart beats with a fever, his mind drifts to the sea.
He knows the taste of liberty, and what it costs to be free.

He will hear the vents no longer, he will go to sea no more.
For his final set of orders, has cast his soul ashore.

Not my work, but for any of my other brother in the Silent Service, i think it captures how leaving it feels.

--Ace
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top