Is it okay for AI to be used in video games?

Is it okay for AI to be used in video games?

  • Yes

    Points: 19 41.3%
  • No

    Points: 27 58.7%

  • Total voters
    46
The way that Larion explained it is perfect to me. When it comes to art, it's okay to use AI for concept art. Then, you can have the actual artists come in and make that concept a realization by doing what they do best. No one gets fired.
 
I don't think what we currently have as "AI" should be used professionally, ESPECIALLY art and entertainment where it is legitimately just stealing other peoples work.

p.s. concept artists are already a thing, we don't need AI to do it.
 
I don't think what we currently have as "AI" should be used professionally, ESPECIALLY art and entertainment where it is legitimately just stealing other peoples work.

p.s. concept artists are already a thing, we don't need AI to do it.
Shouldn't apply to indie devs who aren't good at art and don't have the funds to pay artists.
 
yes lets use ai
for everything

should i eat this bread? AI
should i wash my clothes today? AI
should i go to school? AI
Buster Buster made me mad, how should i feel? AI
auntdabby auntdabby laughed at me because i showed her a photo of me in her jaguars top, how should i feel? AI
 
The question is a bit vague, so I answered "Yes" assuming that this accounts for situations such as AI NPC's in modern games (i.e. Where Winds Meet).

As for game assets and art themselves, I don't agree with AI being used in this sense as it quite blatantly steals artwork and jobs from real people who put in years of practice and hours of work to master their craft.
 
Last edited:
yes lets use ai
for everything

should i eat this bread? AI
should i wash my clothes today? AI
should i go to school? AI
Buster Buster made me mad, how should i feel? AI
auntdabby auntdabby laughed at me because i showed her a photo of me in her jaguars top, how should i feel? AI
hot jags shirt
 
I am looking forward to more advanced AI mods for Skyrim where NPCs actually have lore and you're able to talk to them in really cool ways. So far they do exist but they don't really go as far as I'd want them to
 
Firstly, this was a great poll and fun to read. I have 413 games on steam and hopefully counting as time allows, so I feel qualified for this take. I know that community modders are empowered, traditional game developers are more efficient, so overall AI will increase the amount of games coming out every year regardless of what we think or say of it. Personally, I think that AI will create horrible games. You can't really create an experience that appeals to humans without being one. In the end, games created by AI will feel formulaic because they inherently are. Soulless and literally without thought.

It's the same reason why I think philosophy and psychology degrees are the safest right now. No matter how far they advance the technology (right now, it's the worst it will ever be.) the art and feel will not be human unless it was directed with a humans oversight and vision the entire way. The usage of AI matters greatly and the ethics of it, so this question is very nuanced, like Wailord Wailord mentioned.
 
AI is ok for placeholders, but if it is meant for permanent assets, then it is not ok in my opinion.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top