Need help with vid card purchace

Mole?

I made one post
Joined
Jul 4, 2008
Messages
11
the forum says tech support so i think this is a better place to put the thread than general.. Hello Fellow e,eg,ego's i am in the market for a new video card, ive had my radeon 9200 for far long, i got it with this computer sometime too long ago to think about and i realize its time for a replacement, the problem is money is tight so i have a 200 dollar budget, i can probably afford for it to be a couple dollars more but nothing in the range of 225.. i saw 3 cards that caught my interest, but and i want to know what you graphic card gurus think of them. before i list them i want to know if i can afford a 1 gb, i tried to look for one and i couldnt find any, if u guys know of a good one around 200 let me know. the 3 cards are:

BFG GeForce 8800GT OC Video Card (512MB DDR3, PCI-E 2.0, DX10, Open GL) 179.99

PNY Geforce 8800GT 512MB PCI-Express Video Card 189.99

BFG 9600 GT 0C2 Video Card (512MB, PCI-Express 2.0) 169.99

Please if you can, list one great pros and one important-to-know cons for each, u dont need to type a page if u dont want to . ty again.
 
BFG Geforce 8800GT OC

No debate. Why the 8800 GT? Because outside appearances can be deceiving. The 8800GT at its heart runs the G92 Nvidia gfx processor...the same in the 9xxx series.

But why BFG? 8800GT OC + 10 bucks less than the competition which is without an overclock, its a no-brainer!!

Besides I am biased :D !!
 
ah thanks mr. Q youre not the first person to speak highly of that card, my hope is that a lot of people will respond to this thread praising that card as well. do you or anyone else happen to know a good site to read reviews?:)
 
his visiontek 4850 is within price range for me but i am not sure, is it better than BFG GeForce 8800GT OC Video Card (512MB DDR3, PCI-E 2.0, DX10, Open GL) 179.99
? sorry t be a nuisance but a video card is a big purchase and i want to make sure i get the right one. ty for your help
 
Last edited:
Nah, you REALLY want a video card, this is it:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/BFG-Technologies-BFGR88640GTSOCE-GEFORCE8800-640MB/dp/B000MQK6HY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1216929460&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: GEFORCE8800 Gts Oc 640MB: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314nmRNcMJL.@@AMEPARAM@@314nmRNcMJL[/ame]

Have one, runs wonderfully, sold my soul to pay for it though, but I can run Crysis on it at max settings.
 
Ummm, while I think people's suggestions are right on the money, I'm curious what kind of expansion slots you have in the computer, a radeon 9200 is probably pci, which is not the same as pcie...What is your motherboard, or if you don't know, what kind of computer is it?

Also BFG is excellent.
 
gryphon i have a 200 dollar budget lol.. well dr. rick its a pentium 4 processor with 2.5 ghz 512 ram radeon 9200 currently, micro xp.. i like to think of it as my stone age computer unfortunately, it can no longer run tf2 without freezing which was the deciding factor in upgrading. i mean i have $200 and i feel im stuck between the bfg geforce 8800GT 0C and some other vid card a lot of people think highly of which is the visiontek radeon HD4850
 
Don't buy the OC version...they're charging your $10 for something you can do in a couple minutes at home. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then I guess it's worth it, but I'd never buy a pre-overclocked card.

Get the 4850 ;) And be sure your PSU can handle it.

~Gooda~
 
Don't buy the OC version...they're charging your $10 for something you can do in a couple minutes at home. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then I guess it's worth it, but I'd never buy a pre-overclocked card.

Get the 4850 ;) And be sure your PSU can handle it.

~Gooda~

Reason I would do it that way is because their factory overclock is covered in the warranty. So the 10 bucks is not so much as the time it took to overclock but the insurance to protect your gfx.

But whatever, I have a BFG 8800 GTS OC 320MB and I have ABSOLUTELY no cause to complain. Bought it brand new back in July 2007.
 
Well if dell (sorry) was a good little company it would post it in the specs...they aren't and usually don't. My bet is you have a 350 - 450 watt piece of crap from the back room. Cobwebs count for aesthetics in their book.
 
mole down load pc wizzard 2008 this will tell you what slots you have and what chip set you cpu is.
http://pc-wizard-2008.en.softonic.com/
with a pcie slot you can upgrade your video card and for a future upgrade if your mother board had a socket 775 you could upgrade you cpu to a modern one.

one note of causion is your power supply might be to weak to run the video card you want so post its pc wizzard stats aswell.
 
I'm glad you told me what kind of computer you have, because those pcie cards won't work. You do have a functioning agp slot however, so you could upgrade with an agp card, and then, it will only take 2x and 4x accelerated agp cards. The other thing is that pc power and cooling makes power supplies that are suitable for a dell.

here is the manual for your computer.

here are pc power and cooling's dell compatible power supplies.

I would seriously upgrade your power supply...the one you have has a maximum of 14 amps on the 12 volt rail, which means it probably can't support a fairly high end video card. I would get the 500 watt version, if for no other reason than it has 35 amps on the twelve volt rail, which should support a high end video card...Though I'm not even sure a high end video card for that slot is made...
 
I'm glad you told me what kind of computer you have, because those pcie cards won't work. You do have a functioning agp slot however, so you could upgrade with an agp card, and then, it will only take 2x and 4x accelerated agp cards. The other thing is that pc power and cooling makes power supplies that are suitable for a dell.

here is the manual for your computer.

here are pc power and cooling's dell compatible power supplies.

I would seriously upgrade your power supply...the one you have has a maximum of 14 amps on the 12 volt rail, which means it probably can't support a fairly high end video card. I would get the 500 watt version, if for no other reason than it has 35 amps on the twelve volt rail, which should support a high end video card...Though I'm not even sure a high end video card for that slot is made...

yes im going to upgrade my powersupply and then get a new card. but this is going to cost more than 200 so im going to have to wait. which sucks cause im a college students and currently unemployed so i have to get my money from other less.. enthusiastic sources.>_>
 

Latest posts

Back
Top