Earthquake !!! Run Cali Run !!

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==​
California Integrated Seismic Net
USGS/ Caltech/ CGS/ UCB/ UCSD/ UNR

Version #E: This report supersedes any earlier reports of this event.
This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

A moderate earthquake occurred at 11:42:15 AM (PDT) on Tuesday, July 29, 2008.
The magnitude 5.8 event occurred 3 km (2 miles) SW of Chino Hills, CA.
The hypocentral depth is 12 km ( 8 miles).

Magnitude 5.8 - local magnitude (ML)
Time Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 11:42:15 AM (PDT)
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 18:42:15 (UTC)
Distance from Chino Hills, CA - 3 km (2 miles) SW (235 degrees)
Diamond Bar, CA - 8 km (5 miles) SE (127 degrees)
Yorba Linda, CA - 9 km (5 miles) NNE (23 degrees)
Pomona, CA - 11 km (7 miles) S (178 degrees)
Los Angeles Civic Center, CA - 47 km (29 miles) ESE (103 degrees)
Coordinates 33 deg. 57.5 min. N (33.959N), 117 deg. 45.1 min. W (117.752W)
Depth 12.3 km (7.6 miles)
Location Quality Good
Location Quality Parameters Nst=144, Nph=144, Dmin=8 km, Rmss=0.42 sec, Erho=0.3 km, Erzz=1.3 km, Gp=18 degrees
Event ID# ci14383980

Source: http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/ci14383980.htm
 
Last edited:
I heard about this just now from some friends in Chino, CA. :(

I hope everything is ok.
 
It's all my fault, guys. I bought tickets last night to go out there in September and I think LA is now trying to kill itself.
 
i was seriously hoping someone would laugh at that. i wanted to go back and edit in a more serious reply. but i hope everyone is ok.
 
I'm in Los Angeles and it was probably the biggest earthquake we've felt here in a while. However, it wasn't big enough for structural damage where I live. Nothing fell down or broke.
 
It shook the building I am in. Not bad, but it scared everyone for about 10 seconds while we were waiting to see if it got stronger.

Earthquakes are weird. It is not like a strong wind or a flood or something. The freaking ground starts moving. That ain't suppose to happen!
 
hope all is well!!! hope no one was hurt or didn't have anything damaged...:(
 
5.8 magnitude, not enough to knock down any normal houses, but still enough to break objects in your house, hope you guys are okay.
 
It wasnt Northridge bad but it's been one of the meaner quakes we've had since then.

I was on the 5 north freeway crusing along at a speedy 17 mph with my windows down (oh yea, that was some serious wind in my face right there) when I suddenly thought I had popped a tire because my car became hard to control. It was swaying back and forth a bit like I was drunk (which I'm pretty sure I wasn't), so I kinda poked my head out the driver side window to take a look as best I could (hey, it was 8 mph by then with no chance of me getting in an accident short of a Conair moment with a dead body falling from the sky).

It was about 5 minutes later when my sister called me telling me an earthquake just rocked our condo, causing the usual pictures to fall, lotions/bottles/various weapons to knock to the ground, and small yappy dogs to....yap their heads off. She mentioned that the condo continued to sway for a bit after that. This was in Buena Park, Ca while my best friend said her place in Long Beach had just been rattled strongly by the quake.

So yea, no serious damage other than various busted water pipes around So Cal, but it was still a wee bit spooky.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Too short. Had barely gotten into the groove of it when it died off.

And these aftershocks are just annoying.

Tiny little jolts all day.
 
Hope everyone is ok ::aims medi-gun at california::

Earthquakes sound so scarry - the ground just shouldn't move around like jelly!

I've never been in an earthquake but I'm sure I'd be terrified if I ever was :)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top