My recommendations on software to help your computer

frap

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Messages
2,032
Here are some of my recommendations on software that will help your computer run faster, and take out all the bad stuff (aka spyware/adware/viruses/unused registry entries)

First one is AVG Anti Virus Free Edition:

This is a widely used Anti Virus program with little or no flaws. I have been using AVG for about 2 years now, or ever since I got rid of norton. I highly recommend this program to anyone who needs a new Anti-Virus program. The scans are fast, and it takes up little processes on your computer. AVG also monitors websites that you search for on google and tells you if it is safe or not to go to. Also if you find a harmful website it will send a report to AVG if you allow it, and block that website from everyone with AVG in the future. If there is a website that is blocked and you still wish to go to it, there will be a warning screen and if you press continue it will let you go to it.

Website: http://free.avg.com/

The next one up is Ad-Aware Anti Virus.

This program takes away all spyware/malicious software/ad-ware/and tracking cookies that your computer may have on it. I have also used this for a very long time, and have compared this to many other top used Anti-Spyware programs, and I have found that this is the best one out. It is also a free application.

Website: http://lavasoft.com/single/trialpay.php

The next one up is C-Cleaner (Formerly Crap Cleaner)

This application scans your whole computer for unused file extensions, can clean up your start menu, and take our unused items on your computer. It in no way takes out items that you may need to make your computer run. This program also does a deep scan of your registry and takes out unused registry entries. I really recommend this program.

Website: http://www.ccleaner.com/

I usually do an AVG Scan once every 4-5 days, I do a spyware scan once ever 2-3 days and I do CCleaner once or twice every week.

If you use these programs as told, you will have no problems with your computer. Also, another way to speed up you computer is to run in windows classic mode, it is known to take away tasks that only run in Regular Windows XP mode. If you use vista this is not an option.

Feel free to post your programs!
 
Last edited:
can i add a bit? noscript, a firefox plugin, blocks ads and javascript from sites that could harm your comp.
 
can i add a bit? noscript, a firefox plugin, blocks ads and javascript from sites that could harm your comp.
Yes, sure thing add as much as you want. That was the whole point of this thread, but forgot to put that in my message :(. It is now added.
 
Defraggler is a nice program as well:
http://www.defraggler.com/

Its from the makers of CCleaner. Its a defrag tool that allows you to defrag individual files as well as the whole drive. I use it myself and its way nicer than Vista's defrag and it is a lot more descriptive.
 
Personally, after having used both, I have found "avast!" antivirus to be more proficient in stopping viruses then AVG.

AVG was good for what it did, but it ended up giving me quite a few false positives during the time I had it. "avast!" is free as well (you have to register), and unlike AVG, it has never given any false reads, and has been good at stopping what needs to be stopped (it has saved me more then once by warning me there was a virus in a package I was downloading right when I started to download it! It even stalls the download and, if you so chose, cancels the connection immediately and fully removes any trace!)

Both programs are good enough to compete with any payed subscription antivirus, I just found "avast!" to be better suited towards my specific needs.
 
I use Avant also, but have installed AVG on other people's computers also. I think that if you have a solid Spy bot and some adware remover plus the Anti-Virus you are good to go. However, I have become very upset with Lavasoft...they are turning their once amazing product in to the Norton of adware removers.

Hack this! is also an amazing product provided you know enough about registry's not to mess something up. I spent the first month looking up all the registry keys on google to make sure I didn't delete anything important...
 
noscript got a bit annoying last time my friend got it a while back because it blocked too much stuff and always had to be enabled. I think adblock plus (firefox addon) gets the job done well.
 
Agreed, noscript kept blocking everything, it became a firewall for firefox which was extremely annoying, although im pretty certain it was protecting me from stupid sites. I also recommend spyware blocker, superantispyware, vundofix (for when your comp is infected), and finally comodo boclean.
 
this is what i use

antivirus/spyware
-superantispyware
-spybot search and destroy
-avg7.5
-panda antivirus
-windows defender(actually picked up something nothing else did one time)
-ad aware

cleaners
-ccleaner
-Auslogics boost speed
 
JKDefrag - Defragging
Kaspersky 9 or NOD32 - AntiVirus
ADAware - Antispyware?
Reformatting every two months - Should be self apparent... invest in a 80GB external to backup stuff and reformat every couple of months, you don't have to worry about poopy cleaners doing either a poopy job or a good one. IMHO 2 hours to reformat and reinstall all your games is worth never having to waste 6 hours for poopy cleaning software to find all the junk on your computer that you either don't need, or don't use and giving you a slight boost.

EDIT: I do not appreciate you editing my posts and changing my words. If you don't like how I say something, remove it, don't just CHANGE MY WORDS to something else. If it were really bad the forums would censor it. Regardless, I am thoroughly disappointed in the fact that my post was altered without my permission, not edited to remove content but edited to change content, and I would have never known about it unless I came back to check. If I had to give any support behind why my post shouldn't have been edited in the first place it would be simply this: There are people in this clan with names that imply worse, include worse, or just ARE worse than the words you EDITED to censor. Hell you could have edited my post to make me look like I was flaming the original poster and I wouldn't have known. Next time send me a PM if you would have asked, I would have changed it. Actually, don't bother I'm not going to bother in posting in a forum where moderators can edit users posts at their whim and not at least inform them in some way why.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top