Point value in tf2 (Counter-productive to attacker)

DCL

Rookie
Joined
Oct 23, 2007
Messages
84
After a bit of testing and messing about, those around the 9,000+ point mark are shooting themselves in the foot trying to attack. the first kill you make, your death cost your 6 points, regardless, the second, 13, and the third 25 to one under you. that value decreases with a higher scored defender, but it shows that a heavy with a medic buddy, your going to bleed the points on death, or even a good spy, all the work you did to help a team push in, one death after a few sappers or stabs, and you back below the line you started on. (can this be fixed, or will it be that way?)
 
If you are referring to Hlstats, that is because they are weighted scores. The higher rank/points you have, the less you get for kills and the more you lose for dying. This is to make it harder to get to the top of the rankings and then stay at the top.
 
yeah i agree it seems a little weird. but lets remember tf2 isn't ABOUT points. its about fun, and team work. and more importantly thats what Edgegamers is about: FUN AND TEAM WORK. the stats are there more for fun and tracking. i mean i like my score to be high too. but if i lose 800 points in a game (like last night omg) i'm not too worried about it, i know i'll be here for awhile... i'll get them back.
 
Mind you, thanks to fixed point generation for some action, i.e. kill assists, ubercharges, etc. it is possible for a player to gain points indefinately, so long as they gain 26 points before dying every, or almost every time.

However, if I play almost anything other than medic/engineer, I do indeed bleed points. I think I lost 2000 a few days ago, owing to pyro play.
 
I play with the Tpf mentality. (those of tfc will recall the movement) If that means taking the crit to save the medic, or even acting as decoy to let another push in i don't mind. But I've downright hemorrhaged points in doing so. (which irks me.) As i enjoy trying to push myself to better heights. (as its been I've mostly sniped to avoid dying, and its about the only reason I have not lost more than I have.) Instead of playing the classes i enjoy like soldier, medic, heavy, and pyro. That is really it. I doubt it will change, but I have expressed my views, for what they are worth.
 
I used to think about what my rank would be every time I played. That was when I was ranked in the lower hundreds, but recently I just stopped caring. I was putting more effort into maintaining my rank then I was having fun at the game.

I was also a little demoralized when I would kill someone as a sniper, with a headshot, and only score a total of three points. While someone else would kill me with a regular attack and score 25.

I've learned to think of rank as somewhat pointless since then.
 
I've kinda given up on what my rank is each time I play. I just cross my fingers and hope for a cohesive team and that it will be fun.
 
I removed the HLStats page from my bookmarks, removed the counter from my sig line, and stopped looking at my point totals. I just got to the point where it was ruining all my fun. In my prime I was up around 13k points, I'm sure I've dropped a LOT since then, but the game is more fun now.
 
Back
Top