New Video Card Advice

Well, that's your processor, thier's no info under "Main Circuit Board" under the board category? For instance mine says:

Main Circuit Board

Board: EVGA 132-CK-NF78 2
Serial Number: 1
Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 03/24/2008

Nothing like that? Sorry if I wasn't detailed enough.

Board: Acer EM61SM/EM61PM
Bus Clock: 201 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD R01-B3 02/07/2007

I found that. If even that dosen't work, then I'll just take a pic.
 
Ok, well, after a bit of research, it appears that, yes, your motherboard does indeed have a PCI Express x16 slot. That would mean you could very well install a new video card, but I would be cautious, because of the age of the computer, and it being pre-built, that power supply that's currently in it, may not be enough.
You may want invest in a new power supply while your at it, if you were to buy the video card. It's up to you though.
 
I really think that you should just save up and upgrade your entire computer, with the awesome prices of technology now, you could get very great deals for very powerful components. but it is still up to you, once again if you have a slow computer/ weak powersupply it could very bottleneck your video card. Its like have a 500 hp engine...inside a ford pinto haha
 
I think that Mobo might be PCIE 1. Your gonna need PCIE version 2 to run any new video cards.
 
PCI Express 2.0 is backwards compatible.

The problem is likely going to be the power supply.
 
Last edited:
Allright guys, thanks for your help!

awesome_med.png
 
Ok, these posters have given some wonderful advice about installing and such, so I'll just make a recommendation.

My video card is made by ASUS, and it's a ATI Radeon HD4850. I got the thing for less than $200, and it ROCKS. I easily maxed everything on TF2 out, and Crysis runs beautifully.

Sadly, I bought >$1000 of computer hardware literally weeks before Edge made the deal with Newegg.
 
anders, take it from a pro...

once you pop out the cover of your pc, itz just plug and play

btw my card is an ATI Radeon that was $80 with $50 rebate
flows like a wave at the west coast:cool:
 
lol everyone here is telling you to buy the top of the line cards... i have a radeon hd3850 and it plays tf2 maxed at 1920x1080 res (all i play is 2fort so i couldnt tell you about the other maps) with no lag except for server side lag. you dont need to spend lots of money to get a nice card that will last you. a hd 3870 or an nvidia 9600gt would be good choices for a much cheaper price range. i personally like nvidia better but ati isnt something to frown upon. just post your choices of cards before you buy. alot of card makers like to cut corners and make you think your getting a deal when you really arent.

if your looking for practicallity you might be better off spending half the money on the card and splurging (funny word i know ;p) on a new mobo ram and proc to boot. possibly a psu as well since i dont know what your running. if thats simply too much money then buy a decent card now (so you can use it in a later build) and then buy nicer parts later

Edit: i built my computer for 750 bucks (the whole deal except monitor) and it runs crysis on max settings around 15-20 fps on dx9 at 1280 x 1024 (enough for me)
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top