Graphical Errors

CEO.InfernO

Rookie
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
46
Hey guys,

Been getting some annoying artifacts and glitches in-game. I have updated the drivers multiple times, redownloaded TF2, checked the cache integrity, and re-extracted game files, and it's still happening.

How do I post screenshots I took in game, says the are .TGA files, how do i get those into a correct format?

Thanks!
Inferno
 
Open the in paint (dunno if paint supports Targa) and save them as another filetype like PNG
 
Hmm, what are your temps? Download Rivatuner, and click on the dropdown menu under target adapter where it says customize, and go to hardware monitoring. When the screen with the graphs shows up, look at core temp. Record what you get at idle. Now, make sure you click the little red button on the lower left hand side that says "Enable Background Monitoring". Get in game and play for a while, or until it becomes unplayable, and then go back and record what your temperature peaked at. If it's getting up there past say 80, you'll want to up your fan speeds on the cards. Go back to the Main tab, and click on the dropdown menu under Driver Settings, and click on System Settings. Click on the fan tab. In the top right drop down menu, choose direct control and up your speed all the way to 100. Then get in game and see if that's working, if it's still giving you artifacts, then try other solutions, if it's fixed, then maybe back down your fan speed, because 100 on my cards is LOUD. Hope this helps!
 
My temps did not exceed 51C, that's what it maxed out at, it has an aftermarket Zalman cooler on it.

It has been acting funny for a little while, works fine on other games though, even other Valve games like portal and such. Had it working pretty good, and I just rebuilt it with a new Hard drive and in a new case to make room for my fresh Q6700 build which I just finished.

Any ideas? I'll get screenies up later.

Thanks so much, it's much appreciated!
 
Wow, I wish my temps only got to 51. I get to 75 with my sli setup. Umm, if it's game specific, then I really don't know. When you re install the drivers, are you using a program such as Driver Cleaner to completely wipe the drivers before installing newer ones?
 
I didn't use driver cleaner, but the thing is, it was a brand new OS install, I donwloaded the same drivers before, so it had nothing to interfere, getting the same sort of glitches as I did when the system was "fresh."

Maybe just have to deal with it, or try a new beta driver?

Let me know if anything else comes to mind.
 
For screenshots, you can always change it to jpeg. For instance, take F5, the default screenshot key. Type this into console: bind f5 jpeg
Then it'll automatically save them in .jpg format.
 
since you just did a rebuild you should have dusted out the computer, but sometimes dust builds up under the cover on video cards. So you can remove the metal cover of the video card to make sure the fins are free of dust.
 
I thoroughly cleaned every part, there is a little dust left cuz my compressed air ran out, but that should only raise temps right? And mine are still quite low.
 
does that include your video card temperatures as well. My computer is in a dusty environment. and I dust it out every 4-6 months but a while back I was getting artifacts and even though the dust was cleaned out the video card was filled with dust and the fan on the video card could not circulate the air to cool it. The cause was dust was build up under the metal case of my video card. I used a small screw driver to remove the cover and a paint brush to remove the dust. Then my computer ran fine no artifacts. So for the few minute it takes to do this is worth it to keep from damaging your card.
 
It wouldn't be dust..dust wouldn't target out his GPU only when he plays TF2. It also isn't an overheating problem because his monitor would eventually lose signal.

What other games are running fine without artifacts? Anything that takes as much or more performance than TF2?
 
I'm trying to think, I don't have any of the other games installed on that PC again yet, but I played FEAR on max settings, a simulator called X-Plane that i had running in a very demanding fashion, portal was maxed out, but I'm not sure if I played it after I started getting some of these glitchy errors. I also played the crisis demo on this computer just before "redoing" it to see the difference between it and my new build, and, as I'm sure you know, it taxed it to the max, no artifacts there, just lag. Same goes for when I lowered them to playable, but still as high as it could muster.

I'm stumped, any ideas? And, also, the zalman fan is easy to clean out, and did so quite thoroughly, and I don't believe it's an overheating problem simply because it maxes out at 51C during gameplay, and is usually steady at 49C.
 
Are you talking about the infamous alt+tab glitches? If you change video settings without restarting your game, or divert focus away from TF2 (by alt+tabbing, minimizing, or whatever), various problems arise such as players becoming invisible or running around as if they are swimming. I've also heard that people will see random parts of the map appear out of place.

If it's not that, TF2 also has a random problem where glass and water will have white lines through them, or have a black and purple checkerboard pattern.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top