air filter=panty hose

Clarko

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
737
Well I decided to fix up my computer today. Ive been taking fans and lights out and put some super loud and fast fans for better cooling. Today I took out 1 120cm three fin super fan, added my UV lights again, PCI UV lit slot cooler. Actually plugged in the HDD cooler.(it was just sitting there) I have the MGE first gen. Viper case and I took off the front cover because my Creative X-fi Fatality sound card I/O port would not let the door close all the way. I put that back on with the LCD now displaying the time spent on PC and CPU temp.(Not accurate but close enough).

As far as what was in the computer was DUST. I mean lots of it. I know this because In the back I left open PCI slots open and the side fan I removed because it was super loud. It was a Vantec Tornado, if anyone is not familiar with that product boy your in for a surprise. The thing spins @ 4800 RPM! That is calculated at 119 CFM. CFM being how much air is push into or out of the PC.
My tower was so loud I hid it under the desk when I first put those puppies on. When you start up the computer and when it shuts down the fans sound like the start up and shut down of the Death Star Laser!!!

After cleaning everything very carefully with compressed air and q-tips I got everything back to normal. Since I didn't plan on spending money on air filters just for my PC(they aren't expensive but it was late) I remember a friend of mine telling me he would use panty hose to stop dirt from going in and still allowing air flow. Well I tested it out on my house fan and it works. Since it is a smaller application than a house fan I went ahead and put them on in the intake fans not the exhaust.(im not worried about dirt there). Air flow is there with out problems and I will update over time on this post to verify if it improves the dirt issue. Though I would share this with everyone.

On a side note before I forget. I got the panty hose from my mother.
 
you can also cut out a square from a dry swiffer duster cloth and use that as a filter as well - it does a great job of collecting dust!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top