Which book to read?

frap

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Messages
2,032
Well,

I have to read a book for the summer reading project. I'm going into 10th grade, and was wondering what experience you all have had with these books, were they good/bad? hard/easy?

here is the list:

All Creatures Great and Small
Bean Trees
Black Boy
Brave New World
COld, sassy tree
Count of monte cristo
East of eden
The education of little tree
Fountainhead
Guilliver's Travles
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Jane eyre
Last of the Mohicans
Life of pi
My antonia
Passage to India
The plauge
Rebecca
Secret Life of Bees
Spearate Peace
Shoeless Joe
Siddhartha
War of the Worlds
Watership Down
Wuthering Heights

I am looking for a fairly easy read, that will keep me interested. What do you all suggestion? I am a guy btw
 
I do not know about those books

But this book, i am reading right now... and it TOTALLY ROCKS MY SOCKS.... it's really techno saavy.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Little-Brother-Cory-Doctorow/dp/0765319853"]Little Brother: Cory Doctorow: 9780765319852: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uFCdRYGzL.@@AMEPARAM@@51uFCdRYGzL[/ame]

Product Description
Marcus, a.k.a ?w1n5t0n,? is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works?and how to work the system. Smart, fast, and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school?s intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems.

But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison where they?re mercilessly interrogated for days.

When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows that no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.
 
Depends on what you're going for. Personally, I'd recommend:

Brave New World
Fountainhead
Siddhartha

If you only need to read one, that'd be a toss-up between Fountainhead or Siddhartha. But then, that's my own personal opinion, since that happens to be my favorite Ayn Rand novel, and moreover, I love Herman Hesse (Steppenwolf is phenomenal...and no, not the band...the book).

Rand's deals with her general notion of Objectivism, and her central character Howard Roark is really pretty interesting. Conversely, Hesse's novel deals a lot with Eastern spirituality and mysticism, and that of inner transformation. Don't know if that's really "your thing" though...but then, its still a great read either way.

If you're not into reading alot though, I don't know what to tell ya.

Whatever you choose though, DO NOT choose Wuthering Heights. Dear god is that book horrific.

On a side note, if you're interested in a "fun" read, I'd also recommend Cormac McCarthy's "No Country for Old Men". Even better than the movie.
 
Watership down I remember being easy for me to read, of course it wasn't required reading for me. The Count of Monte Cristo is good but I think it is a bit challenging. I recently read The Bean Trees and it is a tolerable read and kept me interested but a bit too much thinking comes with it for me. I definatly wouldn't read The Fountainhead I dont enjoy reading Ayn Rand. War of The Worlds is pretty good and so is Gulliver's Travels. Do not read Siddhartha I hated that book. Out of all of those I would probably read Watership Down. It was entertaining.
 
Brave New World, East of Eden, or Watership Down. Secret Life of Bees is one of the WORST books I've ever read.
 
never read any of those.
I still have to do my project for school. Its due monday and im only half way through the book.
 
Okay you are in luck because I am an english major and I have heard of most of these novels

if you are a guy you are going to want to avoid the Romanticism girly novels such as (Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights)

Guillivers Travels is an interesting but very boring story...the writing is dry, you would fall asleep

If you like science and technology read Brave New World

The Count of Monte cristo is a very interesting story but its very long to read I dont know if you want that

I would go with a contemporary selection such as Life of Pi its a fairly interesting story about a little kid in India and his adventures :) good luck kid
 
I really liked Count of Monte Cristo. It is long, but it's a great story and has a great ending as a reward.
 
Only ones I've read on that list are Brave New World, A Separate Peace, and Life of Pi. I just finished Life of Pi a couple weeks ago, as a matter of fact. Ok book, but it took me like 100 pages to actually start enjoying it. Before that, it just dragged on.

I would recommend Brave New World. That was one of my favorite books that we had to read in high school.

I do not know about those books

But this book, i am reading right now... and it TOTALLY ROCKS MY SOCKS.... it's really techno saavy.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Brother-Cory-Doctorow/dp/0765319853

I just read this book as well and absolutely loved it. I've been recommending it to all my friends.
 
I would say some Dostoevsky or Camus, if you are mature enough. Crime and Punishment or The Trial. But Hemingway is a good read, or if they allow you to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson. I am not as concerned with form as i am with function and content. Just pick something good, not something easy. You will benefit from your work now down the road.
 
Dont go easy. ALWAYS read something that you will enjoy. Brave New World is one of my all time favorite books( I can read it over and over) Animal Farm is another great book(might be a bit much for you tho)


On another note If you looking for a great read, try Catch 22 by Heller I believe, Just finished it and it was an outstanding read
 
Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have decided to get Brave New World.

Thanks again.
 
Back
Top