Ventrilo Problem

Joined
Jun 23, 2007
Messages
2,454
Well I have a problem in vent. When I join vent I keep getting a message saying: "Failed to open input device. Another program might have it open already. rc = -10". So I'm not able to talk but I can still hear people. I've messed with tons of vent settings and still the same thing. Anyone know whats up? I REALLY want to talk in vent.
 
uninstall it completely then reinstall it then it should work.
 
I've tried the drivers from CD and the drivers from thier site and still the same problem. Any other ideas? I guess if worse comes to worse I can always reformat.
 
And I just tried the headset out on another computer and everything worked just fine so it has to be something with my computer and not the headset (Which is good). So if it doesn't work after a while I think ill try a system restore or a reformat if it comes down to that. Any more suggestions?
 
Does this happen whether or not other programs are using audio?

If you reboot and only start Vent, does it work?

If you reboot into Safe Mode and only start Vent, does it work?
 
Does this happen whether or not other programs are using audio?

If you reboot and only start Vent, does it work?

If you reboot into Safe Mode and only start Vent, does it work?

I've tried launching vent right after I boot up, when other programs shouldnt be using audio but still the same thing. I tried safe mode and then my wireless card won't connect so I can't even try vent. :( And once I think about it, my audio software doesn't launch either so that didn't work as well. (USB headset)
I found this article at cyber snipa's website:
http://www.cybersnipa.com/support/index.php?page=ticket&id=15
They say it could be a problem with "USB device has exceeded its bandwidth" so I'm going to try all of the USB ports and if not I could always try a PCI USB controller.
 
Last edited:
I get this message when I don't have a mic plugged in. Try plugging in just the mic jack and take our the speaker jack if you use those. If you have a USB, can you take out the 2 jacks in the USB and plug it into the red and green ports in the computer?
 
Just throwing this out there, but it would have been very helpful if you mentioned the fact that it's a USB headset to begin with. It's a completely different ballgame when a USB headset is involved.

What is the exact make and model of your headset?

How long has this headset worked for you without problems?

Did you make any changes to your system just before this problem happened? For example, did you recently install new drivers, install new hardware, run Windows Update, add a new USB device (webcam, new flash drive, external harddrive, new printer, etc), or make any change that would modify your software or hardware?
 
Last edited:
This is the headset I got: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3636430&CatId=2383

I've had a different USB headset before this and I completely uninstalled the driver from those before I installed these. I also just did a reformat last to see if that would help. (My machine needed a reformat anyway, I haven't done it in a while). I still have the same problem. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary before I installed them either.
 
So you need to clarify for me. Has this headset ever worked in Vent? Did you also have problems with your previous set?

+++++ Addendum +++++
I forgot to ask, does the mic work in any other program? For example, does the mic test in Windows work?
 
Last edited:
I tried doing a steam mic chat and nothing as well. BUT.... I went out and bought a USB PCI card and now it works just fine!!!! It looks like having it hooked up to the motherboard USB was just exceeding its bandwidth.
 
Last edited:
The only problem I got now is that I got little popping noises when I watch youtube videos and sometimes music. You think that can be fixed with re-installing headset drivers?
 
well when they asked you to uninstall it, did you delete the ventrilo folder on your drive after that?
if you didn't try disabling direct sound in your settings.
 
I did delete the ventrilo folder and everything else left behind, and yes, Direct sound was enabled. Like I said, I fixed it now with the USB PCI card. Only problem now (Which isn't to bad) is that I get some popping noise every once and a while. Would be nice to fix :o
 
srry i didn't notice there was a 2nd page to this topic XD, so missed out on the rest of the info
 

Latest posts

Back
Top