Power Supply Calculator

Deacon

DGX Hosting
Joined
Jul 1, 2006
Messages
414
Lots of people are upgrading their PCs these days. All to often people will buy a new video card just to discover that it doesn't work.

So, how can you make sure that your PC has enough juice to power your high end tricked out system?

ThermalTake Power Supply Calculator

This calculator prompts your for multiple questions about your system, such CPU type, whether you're overclocking, etc.

At the end, simply press calculate and you'll get the minimum recommended watts for your PS.

Here is the demo that I did. TT recommended 1190w of power. If you have pop-ups enabled they will show you which power supply to buy to support your rating.

2 x Intel Core2 Q9550 - Yorkfield
4 x 2GB DDR3 RAM
1 x Average 90% CPU Utilization
2 x nVidia Geforce GTX280 - SLI
2 x 10K RPM SCSI HDD
6 x 7200 RPM SATA HDD
1 x DVD-RW/CD-RW
1 x Blu-Ray
1 x Soundblaster w/ front bay
1 x TV tuner card - Cable
1 x Add. PCI-E 8x Card
6 x attached USB device
1 x attached Firewire device
1 x Fan controller
1 x Front Back Card Reader
2 x cathodes
4 x 120mm FAN w/ LED
1 x Liquid Cooling System
2 x Liquid relay (video and CPU cooling)
1 x 20% capacitor aging
1 x USB Keyboard
1 x USB Mouse
 
unless you're running a HUGE system...or else a very cheap PSU, then you shouldn't need a lot more than 700 or 800 watts. If you're running SLI plus some other pretty intense hardware, then you'll need the upper end of that, or POSSIBLY a 1000 watt supply, but most of the time that's a huge overkill. like i said, the big difference is in the cheap PSUs. A cheap supply will say "1000 watts" and end up only supplying a steady 650 - 750 watts. so, never cheap out on the PSU! :-)

on a side note, Deacon - that is a rockin' system! no wonder you need a killer supply <grin>
 
Cool calculator. Says I needed 505 watts for my system, or 633 watts for SLI. I guess my current PSU will do.. =D
 
wow my system only needs 330 w, but with sli its bout 400 w

so for now my 600w enermax is fine, but ill upgrade to a 750 when i sli the system
 
I need a 820 Watt Power supply.....figures got allot stuff in my rig.....3x 8800 Ultras
 
I wish that was my system. :( That was just a demo... here are the parts that I have:

4 x 1GB DDR3 RAM
1 x Average 90% CPU Utilization
1 x nVidia Geforce GTOC6800
2 x 10K RPM HDD
6 x 7200 RPM SATA HDD
2 x DVD-RW/CD-RW
1 x Soundblaster w/ front bay
1 x TV tuner card - Cable
8 x attached USB device (5 HDD)
2 x eSATA HDD Drives
1 x attached Firewire device
1 x Fan controller
1 x Front Back Card Reader
2 x cathodes
6 x 120mm FAN w/ LED
1 x Liquid Cooling System (ThermalTake Bigwater)
2 x Liquid relay (video and CPU cooling)
1 x 20% capacitor aging
1 x USB Keyboard
1 x USB Mouse

My proc is only an Athlon FX64 dual core AMD 3800+. I'm pricing out server grade motherboards for my system so I can run 2 x quad core opterons, but I think the power consumption will be too high so I'll probably settle on something else.
 
Very nice calculator.

Something seem a bit off/exaggerated but I supposed being safe is better than being sorry.
 
I run a 700W, I'd probably only need a 550W though. Good find, Deacon
 
I got 192 for the a system I was looking at...

Also, can we sticky this? Its a great source of information for people who are trying to upgrade/buy new computers.
 
I'm up at 700 W according to this because of my oc. I have a Corsair 620HX... best psu's ever imo.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top