Power Supplies

Paraplegic_Ballerina

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 7, 2008
Messages
591
I'm sure all of you are getting sick of me with this but I need help picking out a new power supply. I currently have a 450 watt that came with my case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811208011
I am computer illiterate so I have no Idea what one I should get. :confused:
I am on a pretty tight budget so it can't honestly be more than 50 bucks. It just has to last me until I get my new case.

If you need any further info on my computer to find a PSU let me know.
 
i would suggest getting one to transfer to ur new case. its rare for a case to come with an adequate psu. a good psu is about the same price as a good case. i would suggest posting the psu u showed me from newegg that was $50 so u can get some oppinions on it. it has good reviews. the only con i found was it can overheat without proper air flow.
 
First of all, it would be helpful if you used this PSU calculator (courtesy of Deacon =P) to find the minimum wattage needed for your computer.

Assuming it's under 400 watts, this would be a good one to look at. It comes to ~$50 after shipping, and is a relatively well known brand. Just don't expect any $50 power supply to last forever... To be honest, it's the last part in your computer that you want to skimp on, financially.

If you can upgrade your budget, this would be the one I would suggest you getting.. It has free shipping and is only $60 bucks after mail in rebate. It's basically the cheapest one you can get while retaining at least some quality insurance.

EDIT:
Looking above, the one that warshy mentioned also looked good for the price. If you must stay at ~$50 or below, that Antec should suit you just fine.
 
Last edited:
I mean, your PSU is probably overkill... but you should be fairly future proof, unless the psu breaks.

I just bought a 700 watt and I was a little nervous, I am running 4850's in crossfire, but I think my PSU is more than powerful enough to handle it.
 
I mean, your PSU is probably overkill... but you should be fairly future proof, unless the psu breaks.

I just bought a 700 watt and I was a little nervous, I am running 4850's in crossfire, but I think my PSU is more than powerful enough to handle it.

oh yeah no need to be nervous dude. nervous is when you are me and youre running an evga 680i mobo with a 2.4 Q6600 quad cpu and a msi 8800gts 640 mb vid card on an antec 350 watt PSU. thats when you should be nervous. Dont ever trust power requirements from vid card companies, they are much over exaggerated.

and i only upgraded to the thermaltake 650 when i ran out of connectors :P
 
oh yeah no need to be nervous dude. nervous is when you are me and youre running an evga 680i mobo with a 2.4 Q6600 quad cpu and a msi 8800gts 640 mb vid card on an antec 350 watt PSU. thats when you should be nervous. Dont ever trust power requirements from vid card companies, they are much over exaggerated.
we have very similar systems. i have a 780i, Qc2 6600 oced @ 3.2, bfg gtx 768mb vidcard, raptor 150 HD, seagate 750 HD.
you must like ur system as much as i do.
with that psu i still have like 6 or 7 cables left and a ton of power. even with 2 disk drives: blue ray and samsung hd drive
 
Last edited:
I know you are innocent in your intentions, and that you're excited about your new computer, K98|SHARPSHOOTER, but ultimately you are hi-jacking Paraplegic_Ballerina's thread.

This is not an open discussion about power supplies. Please keep your posts related to helping the OP find a new PSU.

If you still feel your question is an important one, and is one that has not been answered in other previous posts (use the search feature), then feel free to create a new thread on your specific issue.

I don't mean to pick on you guys, but I've been seeing stuff like this happen a lot lately and it's not at all conducive to the boards, especially the Tech section, as the questions asked by the OP often have very specific issues that need to be addressed.

Thanks =D
 
Last edited:
My suggestion would be to save up and purchase a decent power supply. to me, this is kinda like buying a cheap, messed up car. Sure you'll HAVE it right now, but it's not going to run well, and the money you spend fixing it and then replacing it a short time down the road will be a lot more than if you just save up and purchase a decent one now.

A cheap power supply can really hurt the lift of your PC components. They don't give the amount of power they claim, and the power they do give isn't very consistent or clean, so it can damage hard drives, memory, video cards and motherboards. That PC that should last you 4-6 years suddenly starts having problems in 2.

So anyway, that's my suggestion. Wait a little bit and spend a little more cash on a decent power supply once you can afford it. Remember that in computer building you get exactly what you pay for. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.
 
Nervous is when you have a stock Dell 305 Watt power supply, no matter what you're upgrading.
 
If you just need a get-me-by power supply untill you're ready to do a complete upgrade, I have a couple of PSU's around here. Nothing fancy, around 300-350w. You won't run crossfire :p but it'll power a basic computer.

If you want to try one, I'd be happy to let you adopt one for free
 

Latest posts

Back
Top