Problem.

Creed

Active Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2007
Messages
338
Hello,

There I am playing either TF2 or DoD: S and all of the sudden, after a few minutes of gameplay, the game decides to freeze and makes a studdering sound on the last peice of sound that was playing at the time in game, wether it is explosions, music, etc. It just keeps repeating it and sitting there until I control+alt+delete to close the program. TF2 has shown no pop up windows describing what happened other than the program needs to close.

DoD:S on the other had shows this in a window afterwords: The instruction at " " referenced memory at " ". The memory could not be read.

Sorry I didnt get the numbers, but I have a feeling this same thing is happening to my other games aswell. If anyone knows how to fix it, please let me know! It would be very much appreciated! Else, ill probably have to do an entire system restore, then, if that doesnt work, and complete reinstall of MS. My OS is XP home edition, SP2, if that is any help to anyone.
 
hey - i had this problem! ;-)

Are you running an NVIDIA GPU - and in the process running their software as well? I know that when i reinstalled the latest drivers for my card, it came with a utility that runs in the background and absolutely kills Steam games. If you head over to Steam's support page they have a great article about how to fix it HERE along with some other suggestions for performance.

Let us know if that works..thanks!
 
I had a very similar problem when starting to run Vista 64bit, HL2 would just bail out in me. Turns out my video driver was the culprit (for Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT). I wasn't able to load the latest default driver from Nvidia, since mine is a custom manufactured (laptop), and ASUS did not have a updated 64 bit driver, and trying to load the default driver would cause me to get "this driver does not match your hardware problem". However I was able to get around this when Nvidia told me to go to http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ and download the latest driver from there. They also tell you how get around the "this driver does not match your hardware problem"

Hope this helps

MenOpaws
 
I think Ive fixed the problem so far. It seems that with the steam powered issue (I couldnt reach it through your link either, im sorry) that I was either running out of RAM or processer overload. I have sense closed a few programs in the backround, did some optimizations, such as RAM freeing, and general service work. It has worked so far for DoD: S I'm not sure ast to TF2 yet. Ill be trying that next. Thx very much for your help guys!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top