Ok here is my situation. I am attending college again and taking computer maintenance and computer science courses. I read alot of PC stuff online from tomshardware and check newegg for specials all the time. I am going to start reading PC magazines as well to waste time between classes. My current set up does me justice and lives up to my expectations running the games I play now.
CPU:AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ running at 2.2 ghz
Mobo:ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 (I believe the only thing i can do to speed up is change mobo and add performance ram)
RAM- 2 gigs dual channel PC3200 184 pin. 1 gig is Corsair Value Ram and the other gig is Kingston Value ram.(This is where I think I can get a subtle increase performance for my setup)
Vid Card: BFG 7950 GT OC 512MB PCI Express
Harddrive: 250 gig IDE drive. Yes the one with the ribbon cables. (I could also go with SATA to increase some performance as well)
I keep up with parts and I know that new stuff comes out every 3-6 months so I don't expect to have the best of the best for long.I usually stick or have built my own computers with AMD. I have never owned an intel system and I want to venture into the territory. I hear good things and want my own experience because I have only used celerons which sucks. What I keep running into is I want proven performance compatibility between CPU,MOBO,RAM. The vid card I can keep for now. I would like some help choosing those 3 parts. Then i will continue to build up from there. I have seen some good 8800 GT for 149-169.99. I have a 550 Watt PSU with support up to 30 amps on +12V. I learned that is important cause my video card would not perform to its peak without the proper watts and amps. If needed I will take your advice on a PSU as well. I know everyone asks budget so here is mine. I want to spend anywhere from 400-700 on those three parts. This is not a whole system from the ground up just some new additions and using old parts not needed for upgrade yet. Thank you for you time and consideration everyone.
Snap I just remembered a CPU cooler as well! Not going to do any OC as of yet but want it running cool for longevity of the CPU
CPU:AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ running at 2.2 ghz
Mobo:ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 (I believe the only thing i can do to speed up is change mobo and add performance ram)
RAM- 2 gigs dual channel PC3200 184 pin. 1 gig is Corsair Value Ram and the other gig is Kingston Value ram.(This is where I think I can get a subtle increase performance for my setup)
Vid Card: BFG 7950 GT OC 512MB PCI Express
Harddrive: 250 gig IDE drive. Yes the one with the ribbon cables. (I could also go with SATA to increase some performance as well)
I keep up with parts and I know that new stuff comes out every 3-6 months so I don't expect to have the best of the best for long.I usually stick or have built my own computers with AMD. I have never owned an intel system and I want to venture into the territory. I hear good things and want my own experience because I have only used celerons which sucks. What I keep running into is I want proven performance compatibility between CPU,MOBO,RAM. The vid card I can keep for now. I would like some help choosing those 3 parts. Then i will continue to build up from there. I have seen some good 8800 GT for 149-169.99. I have a 550 Watt PSU with support up to 30 amps on +12V. I learned that is important cause my video card would not perform to its peak without the proper watts and amps. If needed I will take your advice on a PSU as well. I know everyone asks budget so here is mine. I want to spend anywhere from 400-700 on those three parts. This is not a whole system from the ground up just some new additions and using old parts not needed for upgrade yet. Thank you for you time and consideration everyone.
Snap I just remembered a CPU cooler as well! Not going to do any OC as of yet but want it running cool for longevity of the CPU
Last edited:







