Issue with Mozilla Firefox

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
2,968
I would say that this has started in the last few days. I do normal stuff on my Firefox browser, but overnight, the program starts getting really slow. So I press c,a,d & find that Firefox is taking up around 50% of the cpu, so therefore I shut it down & then restart it, & find that everything is running fine again. A similar finding with this in which I believe both are connected in 1 way or another. I would say about 2 weeks or so ago I got a notice from my computer that I was low on virtual memory (ive never had this issue before). I really have no earthly clue why I got the error message, but since then my comp seems to be running a bit sluggish. Any idea on the Firefox issue?
 
FF is notorious for eating ram and its piss poor handling of java. You get what you pay for I guess. Just don't leave it open for too long is best advice I can offer. Also make sure you're using FF3, its less stupid.
 
oh ya im usin ff3 rite now, but i understand what u mean. ill start shuttin it off @ nite cause i love the whole restore previous session deal.
 
Do you have a lot of addons? They might start doing things overtime, minimize using addons and themes. Also I'm guessing hanover is an IE/Opera/Other unheard browsers fan?
 
In my experience, Firefox starts getting really slow and starts eating an unnecessarily-large amount of CPU and RAM only after visiting sites that have numerous fairly complex Flash embeds in them. For example, if I just go to regular sites that may have a simple Flash-powered ads, I'll be fine for days. Shortly after loading up sites like Newgrounds, things start to change. Even after closing out the offending site, the resource utilization doesn't go down, leading me to close the browser and start from fresh.

So, in my humble opinion, there is something wrong with Flash or Firefox's utilization of Flash. I sometimes run multiple versions of portable Firefox concurrently, whenever one of the instances starts using too many resources, the others follow suit. This leads me to believe that the problem lay with Flash and not with Firefox since each instance is separate and therefore could not be affected by the others (in theory). However, I'm sure that Flash has pooled resource sharing. This being the case, it would be easy to see how a flaw caused by one hooked application could cause a cascading effect that would affect all programs that latch into Flash.

So, in short, there's nothing you can do to fix it. You can merely hope that whoever is responsible releases a new version that fixes the issue at some point.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top