8800 Ultra

Cryptex

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
4,601
I was browsing NewEgg today looking for 8800 Ultra's and GTX's and I couldn't find any. So I hopped on over to Tiger Direct and I found an XFX 8800 Ultra for $200. Are the Ultra's any good, because now I'm really tempted to get one.
 
You can get an 9800 GTX+ for the same price, and I believe the 9800 outperforms it, not certain though.

Edit: Actually, it appears that the ultra is slightly faster than the 9800GTX+ is. It is, very slight though, like 1 FPS in most games. The 9800 is more overclockable though, so if you overclock, go 9800. If you don't, well it's up to you. I personally would get the 9800.
 
Last edited:
But the ultra has 768MB memory and a 384-bit memory clock. I don't see how yo can compare that to the 9800GTX other than the 9800 has faster speeds.
 
The memory is only used at higher resolutions (30"+ monitors), and that's a 384-bit memory bus. With your res (1920x1200 max?), you won't be maxing it out.

~Gooda~
 
Buy the 9800 from Newegg if you're pretty much borderline.

Sponsor remember? ;)
 
So the only thing the bus and the memory affect are resolutions? COnsidering my max res on my monitor is 1680x1050 I don't suppose I'll be maxing it anytime soon.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top