Another stupid question... brought to you by I-D-O (RAM related)

I-Die-Often

Forum Fanatic
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
955
In the planning stages of the HTPC... I have 2GB of 5400DDR2 that are not currently in use... in I buy a MOBO that says it can take 800+, can it also take slower? I know RAM is cheap... I just have it sitting around doing nothing...

Thanks!
 
yes I have a couple Mobo's that the standard is 800 Mhz+ and I have 5400 (667Mhz) ram in it, it will detect the ram and adjust the memory divider accordingly.

Since it's a HTPC and you probably aren't going to OC it (hopefully) then you'll be fine. OCing is the only action that could possibly cause issues with your memory.
 
Just remember that in the future, if you happen to add faster RAM (i.e. PC8500), it'll get downclocked and will run at PC5400. But you could always ditch the PC5400 sticks if you needed the extra speed.
 
Cool... that is how I remember it working... it has just been a very long time since I have had EXTRA stuff laying around... :)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top