Linux

Sexy Beast

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
2,641
I'm planning on setting up a dual boot with linux and xp. I'm wondering which version of Linux to go with. As of right now in between Ubuntu and KDE.
 
ubuntu, theres kubuntu if you prefer the KDE side of things.
 
kubuntu is ubuntu that defaults to KDE, a fork from the gnome based ubuntu.

Another option is Centos. (centos.org) Tis the RHEL/OEL 'commercial' distribution of Linux, built from the source RPMs and a 5 year life time. Free as in beer, and most of the commercial applications will deploy to it. If you want to do a base/router install and add X Windows (and gnome or kde) after the fact, using yum...

# yum groupinstall "X Window System"
# yum groupinstall "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment"
# yum groupinstall "X Window System" "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

What sort of hardware you installing on? Laptop, desktop?
 
I'm a linux beginner and I find Fedora just as easy to use as Ubuntu. So if you don't like Ubuntu that is an alternative. I would stick with one of those two since they seem to be the most popular and easiest to find help for.
 
I like Ubuntu because it's easy to use, and I prefer OpenSuse because it's dead sexy.
 
I like Slackware - I've been running a build of it for about 8 years now. It runs on a computer I heisted out of the trash. :)

For a main desktop - I like Debian. It's got a ton of precompiled stuff you can APT -GET into your system, and have all the functionality you could ever hope for. Plus it's got all the stuff of a Slack or Redhat build almost right out the box. Nice.

Ubuntu - if you're new, just go with that. Very friendly, very simple. ;) Don't fear the console either - it's your friend - and the fastest way to administer your computer if you happen to be on the other side of the world ... or 40 miles away ... or just downstairs - and you're too lazy to get up.
 
If you're doing it to learn about Linux, use Gentoo. Do a stage 2 or 3 install (1 if you're feeling ballsy). You'll learn plenty. If not then...you should probably go with Fedora or just stick to Windows.
 
If you're doing it to learn about Linux, use Gentoo. Do a stage 2 or 3 install (1 if you're feeling ballsy). You'll learn plenty. If not then...you should probably go with Fedora or just stick to Windows.

Or Slack, which still forces you in a lot of cases to do custom compiles for things and modify the default configs to get what you want, pushing you in to understanding the way things work a bit more.

I used to use Slack exclusively, but now that I work for a big company, they use Red Hat on our servers and I use FC9 on my laptops and desktop, though I think if I weren't going for consistency I'd probably be using ubuntu.
 
I started off on Slack and got a good strong understanding of linux out of it. I stand by what you just said - if you want to learn linux good - try slack. There's even disc builds (zipslack) that you can boot off a portable disc - you can try it without installing it. Learn at your own pace. It'll be a bit hard to start, but if you stick with it other builds will be that much easier later.

Our business runs redhat too.
 
Ubuntu was good for me but no replace for Windows.
Because I was concerned for speed and boot time, I went from Vista to XP.

I would say try out Ubuntu. Possibly Fedora9 (haven't tried yet).

EDIT: If your new to Linux, you may wanna try out Damn Small Linux (DSL). I think it is like 56mb and you will get used to the Linux commands and what you need to do to get things to work.
 
I used BSD and Centos, but for starters I would recommend Ubuntu. Nice and easy.

Gentoo and Debian are great OSs, but they require more exp than "just starting".

Download ubuntu... you won't regret it.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top