DRAM:FSB RAtio

Clarko

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
737
Okay so I have been reading and looking into my new setup to make sure its running 100 percent. While it is faster way faster than my old rig looking at the DRAM:FSB ratio something seems wrong.

On CPU-Z it shows FSB:DRAM 5:6 which I am seeing as the CPU bottlenecking my ram?

On Everest it shows the same 6:5. I know I have to mess with the settings to get it 1:1 because I read it is recommended.

I just wanted to get some feedback from my fellow Techies. Thanks.
 
Hava I will be in vent if you can join in to tell me some more. I don't know what part in bios should I OC. This mobo has alot of features im not famliar with.
 
Well, first off, if you don't have an aftermarket heatsink/TIM (unless you're just touching the memory), you really shouldn't overclock. The stock heatsinks cant handle the extra load.

I'm in vent, no mic, but PM me.

~Gooda~
 
I have a V1 CPU cooler from thermaltake that keeps my chip idle at 43c and max around 50. The ram has heat sinks as well but I don't have the fan adaptor corsair makes for it to keep it cooler.
 
Yes, 1:1 ratio is best, which usually means your RAM probably isn't running at it's rated speed anyways, so no need to worry about it overheating. My OCZ DDR2 1066 is running at 1000, but that's because I use a 2.5 ratio. I can't really tell any difference between that and when I have it at 1:1, which puts it running at 800 speed.

My Intel C2D E6600 is set at 8x400. I'm in the process of trying to get it at 3.4GHz or higher, but no luck, so far.

Again, if you aren't running your memory faster than it's rated speed or giving it more voltage than it's normal limit, heat shouldn't be a problem.

What's the specs of your rig?
 
5:6 is stock for DDR800 on a 1333 MHz FSB. 1:1 will actually lower the RAM speed and reduce your performance. The only reason 1:1 is better is to reduce your RAM speed when overclocking to prevent it from causing errors while you try to maximize your FSB. After you find the max FSB you should raise the multiplier until your RAM begins to become unstable and then lower to the maximum stable FSB : RAM ratio.

333 MHz (1333 MHz effective):400 MHz (800 MHz effective) = 5:6

333 MHz (1333 MHz effective):333 MHz (666 MHz effective) = 1:1

So you could raise your FSB to 400 MHz without your ram surpassing its rated speed. Which is why the 1:1 ratio is useful in overclocking.

400 MHz (1600 MHz effective):400 MHz (800 MHZ effective) = 1:1

This would overclock your processor to 3.8 GHz if your motherboard and processor allow you to make it that high.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top