New build, your thoughts?

I currently have a 750w OCZ, and i love it. Came with many extra plugs.

if you already have this power supply that runs your two cards in sli now why not buy a less powerful power supply for your old torn down system if your keeping it running and move your 750w OCZ to your new system.
 
The case is a little to big for my tastes, and I've never really liked Rosewill for the power supplies. Antec would be a better option IMO, or Corsair.
 
Am i really going to have to break down and buy intel?

bleh

PS: Deutschland ?ber Alles, i'm not sure why you deleted your post. You make a good point :/

I've always liked Intel way better, although I've heard that the 9950 Phenom is pretty much on par with the Q6600, which I prefer.
 
It looks like a great build, except for two things.

1) I've had bad experiences with Rosewill. So have a lot of people. For the power supply, do yourself a favor and get a Corsair PSU. You'll thank me later.

2) OCZ RAM is great, but again, some people have had problems. I personally haven't, but my general opinion of OCZ is less than awesome. I guess they would work... I personally wouldn't use them.

Side note:
The Phenom Black Edition is nice, a friend of mine has one. If you're going to do any gaming, I recommend the Core 2 Duo over the Phenom line. There have been plenty of tests to prove that the Duo is completely BA and rocks all around. That would mean a new motherboard though, so blah. You didn't state a purpose for this build, so I'm assuming you're going to do some fairly heavy gaming. You'd probably be happier with Intel, but do as your budget dictates. (Core 2 Duo processors overclock like crazy. I got a cheaper model and with no effort got a 60% overclock on air, running 60 degrees C under full load)
 
I use ocz ram and ocz psu. I also run the 2.2ghz amd phenom and it can play anything that is thrown at it. You dont have to go with intel (i didnt). Eventually I will be upgrading to the 9950 when i get a better job :) (or whatever amd has released once i get enough money :D )
 
Last bit of advice for you Garden....

Don't fall victim to "hertz addiction" as they so kindly put it at PC Perspective.

Also, don't take newegg reviews seriously. Look for common problems amongst them if you are so inclined. But don't decide whether you will or won't buy a product solely on the opinions of people, whom for the most part don't know what they're talking about. Get reviews, benchmarks, BY/FROM PROFESSIONALS and not 16 year olds with google... compare and contrast for yourself.

Besides, there are some people here who would say a P4 at 4.6GHz is better than a 6400+... WHICH IT IS.... !chair :D
 
PSU... definitely should change
I always stress extreme quality PSUs, because if you get a cheaper one and it goes bad, it tends to take out other vital (and expensive) components ie graphics card(s), mobo, hdds, processor...
I'm not sure about the 8800's, but do you need the 950 watt?
 
Am i really going to have to break down and buy intel?

bleh

PS: Deutschland ?ber Alles, i'm not sure why you deleted your post. You make a good point :/

The prospect of buying an Intel again has really turned my stomach. The last time I owned an Intel as my primary system ... was the P2-350mhz.

( That's a LONG time ago. )

I'm willing to give Intel one more shot. ;)

( LOL! I'm not including the P4 I bought - 2.4ghz. UGH. WORST. PURCHASE. EVER. That thing sucked so bad, I tossed it in the cellar and cannibalized every single part I could find out of that system. I took the MB and used it as a soldering sandbox. )
 
New systems must be in the air... oh wait, that's just love.


Processor - I have it and I love it!

Heatsink - I've had zero problems with the stock fan from AMD, but the one you selected is fine.

DVD - I have two of those. They're okay. LG make a louder drive, but I've had zero burn errors so that's what counts.

HDD - I've been using Seagate since my WDs went belly up. Both are fine. I would suggest 32MB cache instead of 16. Stay w/ the 3GB SATA as 1.5 will slow your system down.

Case - The case looks nice. It looks solid. You might also look at the ThermalTake Armor cases. I like the drive back cooling options that TT provides.

Mobo - Asus has always done right by me. I just bought the ASUS M3A78-T. If you're planning on doing Hybrid-SLI w/ the 8800 go w/ your board. I would recommend looking at the M3A78-T and yours. Newegg will allow you to compare the two.

PSU - That looks good. See if they have one that offers modular cables as it makes hooking everything up much easier.

RAM - That's what I just bought. I was thinking about getting the 2x2 sticks so I could upgrade to 8GB. Remember that if you're not using Vista 64bit that your OS won't recognize the 4GB RAM.

PM or email me if you have any questions.
 
I've always liked Intel way better, although I've heard that the 9950 Phenom is pretty much on par with the Q6600, which I prefer.

The 9950 is close to base specs w/ the q6700 and the new penryn model the Q9300, which replaced the Q6600.

It all depends if you want shared cache per core or dedicated cache per core.

Intel does have the 45nm advantage right now, but what you save in power you pay for in proc. Also AMD is due to release their 45nm chips in the next 12 months.

I couldn't find the stats for the 9950 on Tom's Hardware so I selected similar AMDs to compare w/ the 6600.

 

Latest posts

Back
Top