Question about Dell Graphic Drivers

Insurge

EGO Zealot
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
1,795
Hey everyone, I need some help related to the graphics card I bought with my computer.

I currently own a Dell Inspiron 530 and when I was buying my PC on dell.ca I chose the ATI Radeon HD 2600XT 256mb card over the crappy integrated crap they give by default, and I updated it regularly from ati.com. However in dxdiag it still says I have my driver version on 7.5 and I actually have 8.5 currently (going to update again this september to 8.9). Also whenever I updated it would give me a message drivers weren't installed properly or something like that but since I couldnt find anything in the logs I ignored it and contiuned to update since I did not get any problems. Today I noticed there are drivers on the Dell site too for my card (however they're pretty old and RARELY updated - maybe twice a year vs per month for ati.com. Plus, all they update are support features for newer ATI cards and stuff. So I wanted to know, where should I update my ATI card from?
 
Usually with a computer from a major manufacturer (like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) you should get your driver updates from their site. They tend to get special drivers from vendors that work specifically with the hardware installed in their machines. I know they're now always the latest, but most of the time they're the ones that work the best on those machines.
 
Usually with a computer from a major manufacturer (like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) you should get your driver updates from their site. They tend to get special drivers from vendors that work specifically with the hardware installed in their machines. I know they're now always the latest, but most of the time they're the ones that work the best on those machines.

Dell/HP/Gateway/whatever drivers are full of fail. I think the latest ones from Dell for my laptop are from May.

The best site would be ATI, and download Catalyst.

You're lucky that Dell lets you (through limitations in Windows) install drivers directly from ATI. Mine complains if I try to install a Forceware driver from Nvidia...but luckily there's a modded INF site that I use.

~Gooda~
 
my cyberpower laptop uses nvidia drivers (8600GT) but theyre from like mid 2007, and nothing newer [epic sad face].

So vendors such as Dell, CyberPower, HP, etc. may have drivers or not (even if its not integrated). If ATi's dont work through their site go through Dell's.
 
Last edited:
custom built ftw

by the way, double check in your driver dialog that it is the driver you actually installed, in addition, you may want to run driver cleaner or something similar to wipe traces of old vid card drivers before installing new ones (dont think itll cause any problems, but proceed at your own risk)
 
ok guys about the driver issues always delete the old drivers first when you are updating so you won't have any problems!! Second you can go to the vendor website and download it and install it if the Manufacture allows it if it is a dell on the new pc they allow it on the older ones you are out of luck. Oh by the way i am a dell pc tech so i know.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top