Computer freezes

2di4u

Famous
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
546
OK, I need some advice. I am currently running an intel core 2 duo 6400 cpu, 2 gig of corsair ddr2 667 ram, 320 gig hd and a new ati 4850 ATI video card. Here is the problem I am having. Every so often when I try to use multiple windows, my system freezes up. I can move the cursor around the screen but can't perform any functions. I am wondering if it is a video driver issue. a psu issue, hd issue. When i installed the new ati card, first I removed the nvidia drivers, did a scan, then installed the latest ati drivers. Any idea what to do or check?

any advice would be most appreciated
 
Does the system completley freeze up requiring a restart? Or is it just a complete lockup for several seconds and then everything is back to normal? Also, do you have sufficent fans and airflow troughout your case?
 
yes, lots of fans and no it is a complete lock up for everything but the mouse
 
What OS are you running, and is it completely up to date? Also, are your ATI drivers completely up to date?
 
You may want to try not using the most recent drives from ATI, but maybe one iteration back. Sometimes the latest drivers cause more problems than they fix.

Next, how powerful is your PSU? And finally, I know you say you have quite a few fans, but what temp is your computer running? Do you have speedfan or something that you could give us a number?
 
My psu is an OCZ 850 watt power supply. I will check teh inside temp and let you know what they numbers are.
 
Most probably it's a driver problem, because i've had the same problem and I got it fixed by intalling new drivers (first completely remove them...)
 
high temp issue

OK, I dl a program called cpuid and ran it to see what my temps are. Most seem to be within acceptable limits with the exception of my video card. My ati 4850 is giving me reading of 71 C (158F) without any games running. How can I get this temp down with my stock fan on the card? I am guessing I need a special cooler for it. Right now I took the side panel off and got a 12 inch fan blowing at it.
 
okay..... get a new processor E8400 that should speed things up. And change up the fans. Fans shoudl be blowing air into case and other fans should be blowing out....
 

Latest posts

Back
Top