i finally OC my comp

Clarko

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
737
Well after thinking about it. Underclocking my ram to match the processor I thought of just OC the processor to match the ram speeds. To get the DRAM:FSB ratio of 1:1 the right way. I managed to get it OC to 3.8ghz from 3.16 stock and it idles @ 43 like it was stock but maxes out at 55-56c while stock was 49-50. Still I think that is pretty cold for the OC settings. I had to turn off the C1E setting on the mobo which I hear is what was preventing me from OC but it should be kept on because of some security temp feature.

The only draw back is that I had to put in my Tornado fan from Vantec. The thing pushes like 150CFM. Thats alot of air but its loud. Its a turbine!!
 
Question: Have you Prime95ed it? If not, I highly doubt it's stable, especially if you haven't upped your vcore

FSB = ?
Multiplier = ?
vcore = ?
vDIMM = ?

~Gooda~
 
Yea it was not stable. I started playing TF2 and it hung. It crashed but stayed there. So i reverted back immediatly.

FSB:1333
Miltiplier:9.5
vcore:auto
vdimm:auto

When i OCed it was
FSB:1600
Multiplier:9.5
Vcore 1.26875
vdimm:auto(didnt know i had to mess with it. Wasnt OCing ram)

If you want I can PM you my specs to look the mover.
 
So...did you notice any beneficial speed increases in day-to-day applications and games? :confused:
 
i have the E8500. It was 55-58c on max 43c idle but like i said it crashed. i did something wrong. im back at stock settings. going to try it again tomorrow.

Well i ran crysis fine but i noticed i finally got 30+ fps on realistic with it was at 3.8 than below 30 when it was at stock so there is an increase in performance. thats for sure. Not really in TF2 but because it doesn't support multicores. Oh and Pshop CS3 loaded like no tomorrow.

Like I said i want to get it down right so ill keep updating. also once hava gives me some tips, and others respond to my post in different. OC forums.
 
E8400 is a great CPU :D

8500... ehh its cool but not as good as the 8400

yea i would not recommend changing your voltage

pay with the multiplyer a bit and see whats stable for you.
 
well the Multiplyer only goes up to 9.5. So unless I lower it and figure out the FSB to put it at then cool but after reading alot on OC seems like Vcore always need to be changed. Well i started at 1.3 vcore but went lower then it read at a lower rating on CPU-z but I guess i should go back to 1.3 to see if it stays stable.
 
my motherboard is quite neat. If you change something, other ratios will change to match it for better stability, but i dont have anything overclocked.
 
This thread makes me want to play with my OCing again... I got my E6600 from 2.4 to 2.8 before I got bored, it went unstable and I put it back to normal... LoL...
 
E8400 is a great CPU :D

8500... ehh its cool but not as good as the 8400

yea i would not recommend changing your voltage

pay with the multiplyer a bit and see whats stable for you.

How is the E8400 better than the E8500? 0.o

He HAS to up his volts sometime...otherwise it's going to keep crashing. As long as he stays under 70*c and 1.37 vcore, he's totally fine.

I'm telling you, if you just upped the volts a bit, it would help a lot.

~Gooda~
 
Yea listen to gooda hes right. If he stays below 1.37vcore hell be fine. Changing the multiplier wont increase stability with such a large OC. Just start at what it is stock and increase it little by little until it gets stable. Just keep checking the temps and dont put too high voltage in cuz youll fry your proc pretty quick. Also check and see if your motherboard adjusts the ram speed if you overclock. I know my ram speed goes up when i overclock to stay with the ratio its set to.

p.s. I overclocked my e6750 from 2.66 to 3.3 without adjusting the vcore or multiplier. It stays pretty cool as long as the room temperature is not too hot.
 
I have the e6400 and i've taken it from 2.13 to 2.7 but the highest that I run and do stuff at is 2.57. Right now my room is crazy hot so I have it at stock to try and keep temps down a little.
 
Kool, hopefully it'll be stable forever and ever.

My rule was to only OC if I have games that need that extra boost.
I have tried doing it for fun and it was, but I'd like to keep my components alive long as possible.
 
Kool, hopefully it'll be stable forever and ever.

My rule was to only OC if I have games that need that extra boost.
I have tried doing it for fun and it was, but I'd like to keep my components alive long as possible.

I understand that logic, especially when you're not a crazy OCer like some other people are (lawl, me).

Overclocking DOES lower the lifespan of a chip/GPU/RAM, but by the time that it would die, you'd have gotten rid of it for a faster/cooler/better part.

Most CPUs have a lifespan of 12 years (give or take), having it running at a higher frequency/volts 24/7 may lower that by a max 5 years (usually less). You'd sell that chip off and the person buying from you might not OC, and they'd probably gain a few years back by running it at stock.

~Gooda~
 
I am running my q6600 @ 3.0ghz..

Everything ran like butter at 2.4... so i think its just overkill.. but oh well !
 
Well Gooda thank you for the advice. I set it back up to 1.3v but it crashed about 30-45 mins in at minimal use. Just surfing the web. I am going to try a bit more if it has to go higher im not going it. I think it may have to do with the mobo but it does have OC options so it should work. The RAM speed is not changing because I am OC to achieve a 1:1 ratio with the DRAM:FSB ratio. Right now at stock its at 6:5 which means the RAM is faster than the processor. To Not-Z you are right about the OC choice. I don't need to as everything runs great on stock but I wanted the 1:1 ratio because I hear it is the best to have.

Also on a side note I went ahead and ordered the Antec 1200 case today. 164.99. Saving 50 dollars from retail price and it has free 3 day shipping. I love newegg. My old case I will see if I can return it since it is still within a 30 day return period. There is a 15 percent restocking fee but I dont mind as long as I can get rid of the case. Lesson learned about going for cosmetic and not aerodynamics. With the improved air flow I hope to scrape off some more degrees off the CPU. I did reseat it recent but it did not make a difference at idle but made a difference at max kept it under 49.
 
I see now. I think mines like a 1:1 ratio i dunno. i kinda just let it do whatever when i overclocked. Have you tried to overclock your processor then underclock the ram slightly to get closer to the ratio you want?? id say try it and run benchmarks. You might be surprised and find a speed that sounds right for you.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top