Your Opinion on CPU Brand...

Carnage

Active Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
267
I will upgrade my computer soon, and was thinking of Intel or AMD.
I need your help guys to help me choose. I've notice that intel has more CPUs than AMD in Quad category. What would you guys recommend? ANSWER ME!!!
!argh lol j/k :p
 
I'm an Intel fanboy, so of course I'm going to suggest Intel for PERFORMANCE. They OC like mad, very uncomplicated to run (OC wise), and somewhat cheap, even for a quad.

If you want OK performance with a lot less heat/energy use, AMD is the way to go.

~Gooda~
 
I really liked the Athlon X2 line, but since then I've been mostly going with Intel.

Imho, the best money/performance CPU now is Intel's Core 2 E8400.
 
I really liked the Athlon X2 line, but since then I've been mostly going with Intel.

Imho, the best money/performance CPU now is Intel's Core 2 E8400.

+++

Unless you're only looking at quads. The Q6600 is still king (wubs)

~Gooda~
 
AMD's lineup work well if you're going after a low-budget PC, HTPC build.

If you plan on gaming/editing, then go for an Intel based PC. :)
 
Hmm, Btw whats with the big price difference on the Motherboards? I already have an 4870. So which you guys think now?! lol :D
 
If you're going to overclock, go Intel. If you're sure you're never going ot overclock, then go with AMD. I believe that from what I've heard, they give comparable performance at stock speeds.
 
Hmm, Btw whats with the big price difference on the Motherboards? I already have an 4870. So which you guys think now?! lol :D

Features, how much power it has under the hood. My friend has one that can hit 650 fsb (rare), while some cheapo Gigabyte P35-DS3L may only be able to hit 425.

Just a few things.

~Gooda~
 
go intel cause of speed!!

get the 170 dollar E8400 not quad but I overclocked mine to 4.3 GHz
 
Intel is definitely the best use of your money right now. AMD just can't compete, and nothing they have coming out in the next year or even two is really going to change that. Intel's "bang for your buck" is a lot better than AMD's...
 
LOL, I was hoping atleast 1 AMD fanboy support, but none. HmMm. So whats good with Intel CPU and ATI Card, in other words chipsets?
 
I'm currently using and AMD chip, which I like alot. If you are looking for performance on the cheep go AMD.

Unfortunately AMD as of right now can't hold a candle to what Intel is putting out.
 
Definately get Intel. amd can't even touch them. I've owned both and Intel has always outperformed the amd. I have a 3.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and I LOVE IT!
 
I've been buying AMDs almost straight since the AM 5x86 - I've even got 2 FX's.

I say buy a Core 2 Duo. ;)

They're better than AMD - at the moment. ( Quad's a moot point ATM - unless you're using it for a threaded server. It won't do much for your game. Get the biggest & baddest Core 2 Duo you can afford. )

I stick with the better CPU these days. At the time when I bought my old PCs - it happened to be Intel. When the P2 350 was out, it happened to be that.

I don't care what brand I have. I just care it gives me the best performance for every dollar I spend on it.

Definately get Intel. amd can't even touch them. I've owned both and Intel has always outperformed the amd. I have a 3.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and I LOVE IT!

AMD, true, doesn't touch Intel - BUT - they come close. Still though, when you take everything into consideration ... Intel's still a hair ahead.

Extreme editions though, lol, forget about that. I'd rather get a brute GPU instead of some crazy CPU. IMO - having a killer GPU would do much more for your game than a roided-up overpriced CPU.
 
Last edited:
Being the fact that I work @ Intel, I think I can put in my $0.02 on this subject. I know how Intel works and controls their process quality. They are very consistent, and for this I am pretty sure you will not end up with a bad apple (not saying AMD is no good, I simply cannot vouch for that). I have a Q6600 running in my server, and it rocks.

Hope this helps,

MenOpaws
 
Being the fact that I work @ Intel, I think I can put in my $0.02 on this subject. I know how Intel works and controls their process quality. They are very consistent, and for this I am pretty sure you will not end up with a bad apple (not saying AMD is no good, I simply cannot vouch for that). I have a Q6600 running in my server, and it rocks.

Hope this helps,

MenOpaws

I think AMD's QC would be on par or equal. If it wasn't - they wouldn't be giving Intel a run for its money.

[ Remember the ORIGINAL P4 vs Athlon - when AMD had "slower" CPUs that were so much faster? If AMD were a second-rate company, they would have never pulled that off. ]

[ EDIT ] Out of curiosity, what's your job there?
 
I'm running AMD now(2x 3.2GHz), first one, never going to buy one again. Intel has better performance, Is cooler, Is more overclock-able, more support,.....
 
I think AMD's QC would be on par or equal. If it wasn't - they wouldn't be giving Intel a run for its money.

[ Remember the ORIGINAL P4 vs Athlon - when AMD had "slower" CPUs that were so much faster? If AMD were a second-rate company, they would have never pulled that off. ]

[ EDIT ] Out of curiosity, what's your job there?

I agree that AMD is not letting Intel getting away that easy, however AMD CPUs (comparable) sell significantly cheaper then Intel?s. Now this can be seen a positive for AMD on the other hand they might be forced to keep their market share. If AMD would not be good, then Intel had nothing to fear, and I know they keep close tabs on them.

As for your 2nd question; I'm an engineer in the Thin Films Metrology department for both opaque and transparent films. Do you work in the same industry (as far as your curiosity goes)? :D

Cheers,

MenOpaws
 
I think AMD's QC would be on par or equal. If it wasn't - they wouldn't be giving Intel a run for its money.

[ Remember the ORIGINAL P4 vs Athlon - when AMD had "slower" CPUs that were so much faster? If AMD were a second-rate company, they would have never pulled that off. ]

[ EDIT ] Out of curiosity, what's your job there?

Not really...remember their first batch of quad cores? One core was full of fail and they decided to disable it and market them as tri-cores...lawl...not bad thinking...but still full of fail either way.

~Gooda~
 
I'm not a fanboy either company.
But as of right now, Intel holds the crown for kingship.

There are many proven facts on pieces of papers and web that it indeed is the better value.

Waiting for the next round of CPU's.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top