Who needs convincing? If I've been convinced that Core2 > AMD - with 6 SYSTEMS all running various AMD CPUs (64FX, X2, Even a couple XPs straggling around) that I spent a LOT of money on ... I don't see why there should be any need to say much more.
But true - I still am pretty amused at people getting more than 2 cores. 1 CPU used by windows - and one dedicated to your game is more than enough. Anything over that is you wasting your money.
Well, unless you believe the gamer & uninformed consumer supporting Intel's future CPU development instead of a bunch of deep-pocketed investors is a good thing.
Really - way back when I started up in computers, I saw these oh-so-elite motherboards with 2, 4 CPU sockets ... I was like: "WHOA! OMG! Just imagine having 2 486'S KILLING YOUR PROGRAMS ... omg, Warcraft & Doom would be SO ELITE on that! AWESOME!" I thought your 2 DX40's would be like having a DX80! WOW! COOL! " - And then those Pentium Pros with 4 CPUs - and don't forget that awesome ALR motherboard ... what was it, 6 or 8 CPUs it had going on it? The thing had its own riser card with JUST CPU SOCKETS on it! Damn. It was SWEET.
( Just imagine being new and seeing something like this for the first time. )
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/alan-fm_2020_178169161
Yeah. Turns out a knowledgeable friend of mine pointed out the not-so-obvious. Your program will only run on 1 CPU, unless it's threaded to use 2 CPUs. Nothing will run faster than 40 - unless, you run 2 programs at once - then both will run at 40 - instead of going half as fast.
Aww man....

Nobody ran 2 programs at once on DOS - so it was worthless.
----
SO - keep that in mind. Your system will only be as fast as the fastest core speed. So if you've got a QUAD 2.0 - nothing will run FASTER than 2.0.
However, if you have 4 programs running - all 4 will run at 2.0, as long as your OS can thread them. ( Windows home versions, I don't believe they support multiprocessor. )
Back with older versions - like NT - you needed to pay *MORE* to use *MORE* CPUs. A regular license would say support 2 CPUs. Server versions would support up to 8.
Same with other OSes - like Solaris - more CPUs = more expensive.
Multicores have always been reserved for servers and the like. Where these new CPUs will really shine - Dedicated Web Hosting. Ooooh! Boring stuff!
The REAL reason we're starting to get these multicore CPUs - is the rise of Virtualization - not the need for more gaming power.
Know those shared hosts with 100 websites running on a single server? The more cores the CPU has, the better the virtualization runs. It's all about business -
IMO - business class CPUs - are a real waste of money for a home user.
It's the same reason we don't use Nvidia Quadros in our gaming systems.
Sure - the cards are monsters - but they're just ... not good for anything you or I would be doing on our PCs.
Yeah, even I didn't believe that. I thought - Screw these Riva TNT cards. I'm getting a 3DLabs. And I did. It was sweet - onboard OpenGL - in HARDWARE - processing power that couldn't be touched ... all kinds of perks ( basically - it was a Quadro - before it got bought by Nvidia. )
Guess what?
It wasn't all that good. Why? Because it was geared towards workstation graphics - know - ray tracing and rendering.
Yeah, I was disappointed. Business / Enterprise grade hardware is just that - built for boring stuff.
That's what Quad CPUs are.

I guess you could pick em up if you've dreamed of running a Quad or Oct CPU system - or you've always got 50 windows open ... but as for what everyone here, I'm sure, is interested in ... ain't going to do much for you. Sorta like the flash drives I talked of in the techtalk section. It's absolutely awesome tech for your OS and everyday computing - but ... not so much for your gaming.