Lowering Your Firefox Memory Usage

Autoaim

Poster
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
212
TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

So hey guys!

Im gonna show you how to make your firefox use less memory.

make a new tab, and enter this into your url box:

Code:
about:config

Next, FF might show a error saying that this might void your warranty if you change any settings,
Just click ok.

Now left click in the window, and select new -> integer.


Set this as the name:
Code:
browser.cache.memory.capacity


and when it asks for the integer, set it to 60000.

Now restart FF and it will install some updates and you are good to go!

Dropped memory usage for me from 300k to about 75k.

Try it out!
 
Last edited:
Or...buy a 2x2GB kit of RAM for $50 and enjoy more performance without tweaking system files!

I know, I'm a RAM whore...don't remind me.

~Gooda~
 
Or...buy a 2x2GB kit of RAM for $50 and enjoy more performance without tweaking system files!

I know, I'm a RAM whore...don't remind me.

~Gooda~


I have 2 gigs, but i would like FF to be a little less memory heavy, it never slowed my computer, just felt luike t300k was a little high for FF
 
ROFL It gives me a warning about voiding my warranty. That is a first for me. ROFL plus after i thought about goodas post. i have 4 gigs. been thinking about getting another 4. what do u thinik?
 
ROFL It gives me a warning about voiding my warranty. That is a first for me. ROFL plus after i thought about goodas post. i have 4 gigs. been thinking about getting another 4. what do u thinik?

+1! Disable page filing after you do ;)

DDR2 is so cheap nowadays...I don't think it can go much lower (Don't quote me on that).

~Gooda~
 
I hope you realize that XP only recognizes 3.5 GB of RAM, unless you have the 64 bit edition or Vista (in which case you can utilize 4GB)...however I have yet to use my 2GB of memory, usually firefox will crash before it uses up too much memory...
 
I seriously don't know why "memory leaks" are happening.
One of my comp only has 2 gigs and with itunes, ff, steam and various other things I never run out on it nor anything crashes. It might slow down a bit for a moment here and there.......
 
i have vista ultimate 64 bit version. i have no worries about puny xp only supporting 3 gigs.
 
heh... I don't have that option, only one that seems close is
browser.cache.disk.memory
oh well, ff never slows me down, like Gooda says, 4 gigs ram ftw!
I'll prob pick up another 2 sticks, and it will be 8 gigs ftew
 

Latest posts

Back
Top