Firefox auto update + 403 errors

QB

Famous
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
433
I figure I'd get a faster response here than in some of the many awful tech boards that pollute the www.

Today Firefox downloaded an automatic update while I was away (3.0.2 I assume). When I returned, I restarted Firefox to let the update take effect. All of a sudden I'm getting frequent 403 Forbidden errors. Anyone know if this update enabled some obscure security options? I never enable the kind of security that would normally cause this.
 
http errors are server generated and shouldn't be coming out of firefox. If you're -certain- you're having problems from that, you could try getting out your FF3 install and reinstalling it to a back version - then re-upgrading.

There's also two other possibilities for this:

- Your HTTP responses are getting garbled due to some broken thing. ( Yes, a thing. ) This could be a variety of things. Most likely - you would be effected while using OTHER browsers, not just Firefox. Try using a different browser to open the same pages where you get these errors. If it works, then Firefox is definitely the culprit. If not, ask someone else to try the same link.
- Firefox may be damaged and reporting (receiving) the HTTP responses incorrectly. A reinstall would correct this.
- Are you using this on a FILTERED internet connection? Is it possible that someone set up a filter on your connection? Content filters may behave like this. ( like, if set up to an "obscured" mode - to try and "hide" from the unsuspecting user. )

I've never had an update change my settings on me. My 3.0.2 install is working great, too.

( Though I HATE autoupdates - they're starting to piss me off these days. I enjoy when my software and system WORK - and aren't getting screwed up by the latest Flash update. I'd turn it all off myself, but, if you're squeamish about security updates, or don't have some really good anti-driveby/virus - you might want to keep it on. )
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top