Comp Crash

Cpt. Hopi

Famous
Joined
Sep 28, 2008
Messages
429
Ok I am playing DOD:S right then one of the 2 will happen.

1.The game crashes with the memory error (all the numbers in a window message popup)
2.My comp restarts by itself or if I had it set to others refer as the BSOD

It happens with a lot of Source games with me but crashes on DOD:S the most.
I know I have the DOD:S requirements but it still crashes?

My SYSTEM:
AMD Athlon 1.7GHZ
512MB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce4 TI 4200 (Memory 64mb)
DirectX 9.0 though game says I have 8.0
 
BSODs..few possible causes.

Are your drivers up to date? I know the Geforce Ti 4200 is quite an old card..but see if you can find the most recent drivers for it.

It could also be memory related. Do you have 1 stick of 512MB? Or 2 x 256MB? If its the latter, try taking one stick of RAM out, see if the crashes persist.

What kind of Power Supply are you using? Flaky PSUs can cause all sorts of problems. If you can tell us what brand/model you're using, it'll help. :)

And lastly, how long have these crashes been occuring for? Just recently?
 
BSODs..few possible causes.

Are your drivers up to date? I know the Geforce Ti 4200 is quite an old card..but see if you can find the most recent drivers for it.

It could also be memory related. Do you have 1 stick of 512MB? Or 2 x 256MB? If its the latter, try taking one stick of RAM out, see if the crashes persist.

What kind of Power Supply are you using? Flaky PSUs can cause all sorts of problems. If you can tell us what brand/model you're using, it'll help. :)

And lastly, how long have these crashes been occuring for? Just recently?

Well I don't have much time now but yes my drivers are up to date.
I have 2 sticks of 256MB. Also if I took a stick out wouldn't it crash even more because it's not enough. Before I had 2 it still crashed.

Uhh can't answer power supply since I have to go soon for a bit I'll answer that later.

They have been occurring for years. Though it's mainly with the Source engine it crashes with. Some other third party non steam games will crash to.
 
How's the cooling in your case? Any dead fans? make sure you have proper airflow or all components will fail due to heat
 
Yah I have wondered that possible one also. Though I don't know what cooling fan I have or w/e but I know it works at least.
 
If you're experiencing BSODs, it could very well be a memory related error. It wont crash on less RAM, its just a quick diagnostic to see which stick of RAM could be causing the problem. Take one stick out, play DoD for a bit. If it crashes, switch the PC off, insert the first stick you took out and remove the second stick.

It may not even be memory related at all, but you can never be too sure. :)
 
also what i would suggest is tryin 2 do some work round the house (or some1 else's place since u sound like ur a teen). did u install the vid card urself? if so im takin a good guess that u have agp since the ti 4200 was made for both pci & agp (way b4 pci-e technology ever was thought up). im also takin a guess that uve had that machine for a while as well. check on newegg via out site to see bout possible ddr memory sticks since im takin a good guess that u either have ddr sticks or sdram sticks.
 
Hmm good suggestions just yah this thing called money is hard for me unless I sell my camera :)

No though I didn't install the video card myself because I can't install anything without the comp going BOOM

Heh would taking pictures of the comp or anything help at all so you guys can see if anything is wrong?
 
If it means we'll know what kind of Power Supply you're running, sure, take a few pictures. :p

And no, not being sarcastic. :o
 
Last edited:
A 250w no-name PSU could definitely cause instabilities. Is there any way you can coerce your dad into giving you say...50 dollars?

Try this: SeaSonic SS-300ET 300W ($40) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151059

$40 sounds like a very reasonable price, especially from a reputable name like SeaSonic. It's all up to your dad though, and if he's willing to fork extra cash over to help solve your crashes. :)
 
Last edited:
Yah so most likely the power supply is why my game or comp crashes all the time.
What's weird though is I can play DOD:S for 5 or 6 hours straight and no crash. Exit for a little break rejoin and I play 5 min only 5 min and boom my comp restarts by itself. Though hopefully I can try to get a no power supply thanks then.:)
 
MAke Sure your bios, video card and drivers are updated.. Second check for trojans..
third .. you have a 1.7 GHZ CPU maybe u think about overclocking? Also get more memory.. 512 mb is pretty small
This could also be your power supply or hard drive
Also recommend updating ur nvidia card ;) good luck
 
Thanks specialist but if you read some of my post money for me is a hard thing right now. If I can just get a $50 power supply I would be lucky. Get video cards, more ram kinda hard when that would cost a lot. Thanks though for information
 

Latest posts

Back
Top