buildin a pc need help

rhinoseed

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jul 4, 2008
Messages
673
i am building a pc and i need help and suggestions ok my buget is like $1100 and i live in michigan, USA and i am plannin on gettin a 4870x2 graphics card so u guys dont have to worry about that and i just want it as nice as possible for that price but i need almost everything except keyboard and mouse and speakers and a moniter i will find that stuff the rest i do need help on.

thanks rhino
 
Sorry if i jacked your last thread lol. I didn't mean to make you post another :D
 
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8584471

There you go, if you have any questions feel free to post. :3

Before anyone posts a quadcore build..... I DO NOT recommend quad-core builds right now, especially from intel... I wouldn't even go AMD unless you're planning on doing 3D Modeling, Mapping, Programming, etc...

Getting a complete system with a 4870x2 for 1100 or under is REAAALLLY hard. Due to the fact that the GPU is nearly half of your budget that leaves hardly anything to spend on quality parts. If anything is worth waiting for it'd be a GPU, because unless you're running on a 4-6series geforce it'll hold you over for a month or two. In which case, the card you wanted will be cheaper and something new might be out.
 
Last edited:
Why wouldn't you recommend a quad core from Intel? They run cool/OC like mad.

Srsly, why not? If he's doing anything more intensive than gaming, he's really benefit from one.

If he's only gaming, then yes, a higher clocked dual core would be better than a quad.

EDIT: Why would you give him a 780i? He would be fine with a Gigabyte P35 DS3L for $100. He has no need for SLI support (ATI card...)

~Gooda~
 
Last edited:
I recommend a quad core but with liquid cooling. That way, you can overclock and if you reach 3.0 GHz, you've done 2x better than a dual core. :)
 
No quite Crusader. I see your logic, but it doesn't work that way. Here's my answer to that logic *copied and pasted, I use it a lot*

So you have a quad core (Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz) and a dual core (E8400 @ 3.0Ghz). Now, with multiple cores, you would THINK that you would add up each to a total frequency. Example: Q6600 would be 2.4Ghz * 4 (four cores) and = 9.6Ghz. The dual core would then be 6Ghz, right?

No.

Think of it like this, the processor is a freeway. With a single core, you have a single lane, ALL data/cores going on that lane, entering and exiting the freeway on that one lane. The speed limit (frequency) is 60 mph (2.5Ghz). If you get a dual core, you gain an extra lane (core) for cars/data to use. The speed limit (frequency) may be higher or lower depending on the freeway (processor), but even with the added lanes, the cars are still going at the same pace, 60 mph (2.5Ghz). If two lanes are going at 60 mph (2.5Ghz), they aren't collectively doing 120 mph (5Ghz), they're still all going at 60 mph (2.5Ghz). More traffic/data can get through because of the extra lanes/cores.

Same thing with a quad core, double (or quadruple) the lanes, but still the same speed limit/clock speed. More data/same speed.

Problem is, most programs/cars aren't designed to move over to other lanes, or switch between lanes. If a program is multithreaded, it has the ability to use all cores available, similar to a car weaving in and out of traffic to get to where it's going faster.

Hope that explains it.

~Gooda~
 
No probs, like I said, I use it a lot, lol. Now if only I could get the eBay peeps selling a quad core computer system to stop using that logic, but they do it on purpose. Ahmahgawd, 12Ghz computer?! Do want!

~Gooda~
 
Well DUH...they're trying to make some cash so most of them are willing to say anything to make you buy it. I'm an honest eBay seller. :)
 
I recommend a quad core but with liquid cooling. That way, you can overclock and if you reach 3.0 GHz, you've done 2x better than a dual core. :)

Let me take a moment to dry up the liquid cooling idea.

He's asking for help with a build.

If he's asking for input on a build - I can safely assume overclocking would be potentially dangerous for his system. Ditto with liquid cooling. I know what I'm doing - and I prefer to keep wet away from my comps ( other people use them, I've got pets. I don't need a disaster or a new comp before I plan on buying one. )

Stick with a powered stock system, and things will be fine. :)

Let me kill your crossfire ambition too:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1481/4/sapphire_radeon_hd_4870_in_crossfire/index.html

Two is not that much better than one. Why are you willing to pay TWICE as much for a 22% performance gain? That's silly. Get a single better quality video card if available.

If a measley 22% gain warrants wasting the cost of an extra video card, by all means.

Having two cards is always cool - but for a weak gain like that - it's just a waste of cash in my opinion.

If it were 40-60%, maybe ....

If it were 60-80%, then OK - it's worth it.

But 20% - turn your graphics down 1 notch and you'll gain that improvement for FREE ( Oh, and you can get a better CPU & extra RAM - which will probably give you a better performance gain than a lousy 22%. )

---

Yeah, I really don't like SLI & Crossfire at all. IMO it's a waste. It's just a novelty technology that's inefficient & weak. The only people who are gaining ANYTHING out of SLI & Crossfire are Nvidia & ATI - that is - they're gaining in profits by selling you two cards to stick in a poorly implemented technology.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I really don't like SLI & Crossfire at all. IMO it's a waste. It's just a novelty technology that's inefficient & weak. The only people who are gaining ANYTHING out of SLI & Crossfire are Nvidia & ATI - that is - they're gaining in profits by selling you two cards to stick in a poorly implemented technology.

But...what about my e-penis? It needs enlargement!

Meh, I'm getting two 4870x2s...I can't comment, lol. Daiyum it's gonna be sexy.

~Gooda~
 

Latest posts

Back
Top