Free Source Mods Round Up!

How could people forget smod??? The best half-life 2 mod.
Un-official webpage

Basically it's just an update to Half-Life 2. It takes half-life 2 and adds plenty of options to play with. There are about 25 different guns (I think), bullet time. Those are the two big ones that I can think of. All this requires is Half-Life 2. It is really fun and I do recommend getting it.
Only downside is, with the engine updates, HDL doesn't work on all the maps. I found that turning HDL makes it look better.
 
I think that the Research and Development mod is amazing. It's amazing that thing thing was made by one guy, I recommend you check it out.
 
Firearms: Source - Official Site - This game is a fast-paced, quasi-realistic, action-oriented, warfare-centric modification for Valve's Source engine. FAS doesn't keep you waiting around to respawn or running forever to get into the action; our whole focus is on keeping you in the midst of the most brutal and violent firefights you've ever seen in Half-Life 2, period.

Upside: Fast paced game play. Custom loadout with over 31 weapons to choose from. Four brutal game modes - Push your enemies from one side of the combat zone to the other, slaughtering everything in your path; search and destroy their supplies; capture their intelligence; or dominate them by controlling more territory. Guns are realistic to their real-life counter parts. Able to choose what kind of armor you want - heavy, medium, light, etc.

Downside: Some weapons will seem overpowered to others when going against each other in a 1v1; some loadouts will be more powerful and effective than others. Credits system limits what kind of loadout combinations you can choose to the amount of credits that you have.
 
I'm quite surprised nobody has mentioned MINERVA:Metastasis here.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/minerva

I've played it, and it really proves you don't need voice acting to make a good story in a FPS. As you reach points in the game you receive old modem-style messages from a mysterious overseer who calls herself Minerva. You're sent on a stolen combine helicopter to gain information on a small remote island fortified by combine, but it holds many secrets.

The thing that makes this mod so great is the mapping. There are 4 maps altogether, but each map takes up an entire chapter of gameplay, because of the realistic map design and excellent use of vertical space. The mapping is so good in fact, the developer, Adam Foster, was hired by Valve.

So yeah, play it.
 
I've been waiting on Black Mesa Source for about 3 years now :(

I think by time it's released, the source engine will be outdated.
 
first post, also, was reading your list, you missed a pretty old(but fun) mod that people still play, Zombie Master, updates are dead but its still fun, even with justa couple of servers
 
Sourceforts was awesome!!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZXebEVAsR0[/ame]

This is very dead, but it was my favorite source mod and possible my favorite ctf game mode ever!!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top