Corsair 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR SDRAM

Dare

Poster
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Messages
221
Hey,

I was just looking on Newegg because I was curious about getting some more RAM. I found this Corsair ValueSelect 2GB RAM that's going for $20! After the $40 rebate. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if Corsair is a reliable company, I have never bought from them. There is around 150 reviews and most of them are good, but around 14 say they had problems, which is why I'm being a little hesitant. I'm using a GeForce 7900GT Overclocked Version since I got mine for around $50 and I wanted something cheap that runs well. Right now I average around 40 FPS in TF2 battles, and sometime it drops to 25 FPS and we can't have that now can we. :D So I may overclock myself. Right now I have 512MB RAM which is pretty bad and I don't think this should be a deal I should pass up. Do you guys think my FPS will boost a lot if I get the sticks?

Thanks.
 
Corsair is a very reputable company, and makes quality memory and power supplies. Their RAM comes with a lifetime warranty, so if it ever fails, they'll replace it.

You should also see quite a boost going from 512MB to 2GB.
 
What is your internet connection speed? Remember, your computer is only as fast as the slowest connection. You will see a more consistent speed with more RAM (I think, someone will have to verify this) and 512 mB is becoming increasingly archaic as time marches on.

Corsair is an excellent company and provides some of the best speeds in flash drives and most reliable/well built RAM that I know of. It is constantly ranked near the top for companies who produce RAM, I consider Kingston a step below Corsair. Hopefully this helps!
 
First question, what motherboard do you have?

As far as seeing a boost in performance, you probably will but not in FPS (I may be wrong on that though)... You REALLY only need 23-45 FPS, thats about as smooth as you'll need the game... Anything above that is really unneeded while playing FPS's or any game for that matter.
 
Yeah, 25/30 FPS really isn't that bad and works fine. My internet connection speed? I'm not really sure about that (I wouldn't really think of me at a high tech level) but Insight is our internet company if that helps. The internet connection is fine since I'm not running on wireless.

Motherboard? ASUS PTGD1-LA as it says on the HP site. My desktop is the HP Pavilion a730n from around...2003 or 2004 I believe.
 
Although memory does have an effect on the graphics, don't expect to see a huge jump of fps from just upgrading your ram. But you will see improvements in other areas such as inet, your application loading times.

I would definitely recommend Corsair to anyone.
You are definitely right with 512MB right being pretty bad since most of the cheap laptops come with 1gig minimum.

Would also recommend getting a new graphics card if you plan to play more modern games.
 
Although memory does have an effect on the graphics, don't expect to see a huge jump of fps from just upgrading your ram. But you will see improvements in other areas such as inet, your application loading times.

I would definitely recommend Corsair to anyone.
You are definitely right with 512MB right being pretty bad since most of the cheap laptops come with 1gig minimum.

Would also recommend getting a new graphics card if you plan to play more modern games.
I don't plan on getting DX10 games, and I can live on Medium/Low. I didn't really want to spend around $100 for a card right now so I just wanted something cheap that worked well in DX9. I doubt I'll be upgrading for 1-2 years. Until then I bet a GeForce 8800GT will come down in price. And applications run really slow and is one of the reasons why I want to upgrade RAM. Whenever I join a TF2 server the sound starts looping and I have to wait for the game to load fully to get the maximum FPS.

EDIT: I ordered the kit, I'm not going to send in the rebate until I know it's going to be working or I can't send it back to newegg. But couldn't I just send it to Corsair since it has a lifetime warranty?
 
Last edited:
I can get u an even better deal....

$25

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5D - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

Too bad his motherboard only supports 184pin DDR RAM.


Anywho, you can and probably should upgrade your RAM for that price. As far as I can tell everything should work. :3

Hope you enjoy your new RAM.
 
Last edited:
Too bad his motherboard only supports 184pin DDR RAM.


Anywho, you can and probably should upgrade your RAM for that price. As far as I can tell everything should work. :3

Hope you enjoy your new RAM.

Thanks.

Yeah, I wish it supported DDR3 and DDR2. :(
 

Latest posts

Back
Top