Steam Connection issues...

Cervani

Famous
Joined
Jun 24, 2008
Messages
420
Every so often, like if I install a new game, I get connection issues on all of my games through steam.

Servers don't refresh, my favorites disappear, where there should be 150+ servers only six will show no matter how many times I refresh. Even then, sometimes if I DO connect to a server I get "Connection Lost".

I had called my cable company before, and they said all my ports were open. The router I use is locked by the cable company, so I can do a damn thing here.

Anything else I can try? This gets INCREDIBLY annoying when it happens.
 
Every so often, like if I install a new game, I get connection issues on all of my games through steam.

Servers don't refresh, my favorites disappear, where there should be 150+ servers only six will show no matter how many times I refresh. Even then, sometimes if I DO connect to a server I get "Connection Lost".

I had called my cable company before, and they said all my ports were open. The router I use is locked by the cable company, so I can do a damn thing here.

Anything else I can try? This gets INCREDIBLY annoying when it happens.

Having all your ports open is a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDD thing. Try deleting your clientregistry.blob in your steam folder. That usually fixes problems like that.
 
Having all your ports open is a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDD thing. Try deleting your clientregistry.blob in your steam folder. That usually fixes problems like that.

Who is opening ports bad?:confused: Anyway, what game did you download?
 
Who is opening ports bad?:confused: Anyway, what game did you download?

Umm... there's probably a more technical answer to why opening your ports is bad....

You really should only open ports if you REALLY need to...

The more ports you open the more susceptible to being exploited by any kind of virus, worm, hacker, etc....

The only simple way I can explain it:
Okay so you have a hazmat suit.. (Hazmat suit = router/firewall)... you're in a room full of an airborne disease/virus....

Obviously you need a place for oxygen to get through.... so you cut a hole in your suit to put the tank in... (Opening a port for something like steam, a game, etc)... but there's a chance the thing you're wearing the hazmat suit to avoid can get in through that hole. (Small chance)...

So, by opening up ALL of your ports you're basically cutting a million holes in your hazmat suit making yourself susceptible to the airborne disease/virus. (Viruses, hackers, worms, spyware)
 
Umm... there's probably a more technical answer to why opening your ports is bad....

You really should only open ports if you REALLY need to...

The more ports you open the more susceptible to being exploited by any kind of virus, worm, hacker, etc....

The only simple way I can explain it:
Okay so you have a hazmat suit.. (Hazmat suit = router/firewall)... you're in a room full of an airborne disease/virus....

Obviously you need a place for oxygen to get through.... so you cut a hole in your suit to put the tank in... (Opening a port for something like steam, a game, etc)... but there's a chance the thing you're wearing the hazmat suit to avoid can get in through that hole. (Small chance)...

So, by opening up ALL of your ports you're basically cutting a million holes in your hazmat suit making yourself susceptible to the airborne disease/virus. (Viruses, hackers, worms, spyware)
I understand smart long terms Mrawesome, you don't need to go the hard way trying to explain to me. Wow, I never knew having many ports open could be that dangerous, luck of the company, we have to call them to open some :D. Thanks for the detail mrawesome!
 
I understand smart long terms Mrawesome, you don't need to go the hard way trying to explain to me. Wow, I never knew having many ports open could be that dangerous, luck of the company, we have to call them to open some :D. Thanks for the detail mrawesome!

I don't know the long terms otherwise I'd actually use them, wasn't trying to impugn you at all. xD
 
Hmmmm, I'll try the registry thingy.

And as for what game I dled, it was a CS:S pass a friend gave me.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top