Overclocking GeForce 7900GT

Dare

Poster
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Messages
221
I just recently upgraded my RAM to 2.5GB RAM and a 500W Power Supply (old 300W one died during a storm), but I don't plan on upgrading my graphics card until there is a large market of games I am interested in that either require DX10 (can't you force DX9 anyways) or more advanced PC requirements. That's why I've been thinking about overclocking mine I have a BFG Tech 7900GT OC, which apparently means it's already overclocked. But can I overclock it more myself? I planned on using this guide from PCstats. Is it any good?

Right now I'm running TF2 easily at 40 FPS. Overclocking can get me...at least 50 FPS?
 
Since your model is already an overclocked version, you probably wont be able to push the core/memory clock speeds much higher than they already are...unless you like messing with voltages and maybe water-cooling.

Also, grab a copy of GPU-Z here: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
You may or may not get a 10FPS increase, but that depends on your current core/memory speeds. GPU-Z should report them. Post a screenshot of it. :)
 
Here are my specs:
Graphics Card Specs -
[ame]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm226/UnknownHylian/corespeeds.png[/ame]

Sensors -
[ame]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm226/UnknownHylian/sensors.png[/ame]
 
I was never able to OC my 7900GT by anything worthwhile - at least not and keep it stable. But that might have just been the card I had.
 
I'll probably just follow the guide and move up the speeds one step at a time and see how far I can get.
 
Explosion imminent.

Naw, just be sure you have some good cooling (any air cooler really) and up it slowly. GFX chips aren't that sensitive to high temps (90*c isn't unheard of), so you should be good.

~Gooda~
 
How do I check what cooler I have? It already has one installed doesn't it? Do I need to replace it with a 3rd party cooler.

I plan on upping it by 3 increments until I get the white snow in the benchmarks, then back it up.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top