New VGA Cooler *pics*

xKodiakx

Active Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
408
I have a Sapphire Radeon 4870 and well they run a weee bit warm, and I wanted to be able to put more air on them without the noise of a stock fan.

the Answer = Thermalright TRad2

Before Temps:
Idle = 45 - 50 ish
Load = 60+

After Temps:
Idle = 35 - 38 ish
Load = 45 - 48 ish

so now, it's cooler under full load then it was idle before..


100_1079.jpg

100_1083.jpg

100_1084.jpg

100_1086.jpg

100_1087.jpg

100_1088.jpg

100_1091.jpg

100_1093.jpg

100_1094.jpg

100_1095.jpg

100_1096.jpg

100_1097.jpg
 
Nice I think I only moded my vid card once and it was my BFG 7958 GT OC and I was scared. I first got a fanless solution put it didnt cool a bit and/or I installed it wrong so I went with something else. I never did check the temps. rofl so yea. I have a XFX 260 and It idles 43 max 50-55ish on 70 percent fan speed. I do think ATI are powerfull cards but that was one thing that kept me away from the new ones. The high temps (even though these cards are able to resist about 100c but the cooler the better and longer life it will have) and the power consumption. I do not remember the site but I just googled 260 vs 4870. The 4870 ran hotter idle and max and used alot of power when Idle.

Good job and nice pictures.
 
Looks nice but you lose way too much space and ruins the airflow ...
 
•Jv•;514543 said:
Looks nice but you lose way too much space and ruins the airflow ...

It does take up some space yeah... of course it's only covering up 1 more pci express slot then it normally does..


How does it ruin the airflow?
 
Last edited:
It does take up some space yeah... of course it's only covering up 1 more pci express slot then it normally does..


How does it ruin the airflow?

well, you got your front intake fans, blowing the air to the back. Then the vga cooler pushes the air up wich create a kind of a rotating flow inside your case, it doesn't really ruin it but it's not good...
 
Yea, it looks nice and works well, but the way its doing it is blowing the air upwards instead of backwards and out. But if your PC is running cool then it isn't much of a problem.
 
Last edited:
Smexy ;) Watercooling ftw though :p

You...did...take off the warning sticker on the heatsink before you put it on....right?

Just makin' sure.

~Gooda~
 
•Jv•;514715 said:
well, you got your front intake fans, blowing the air to the back. Then the vga cooler pushes the air up wich create a kind of a rotating flow inside your case, it doesn't really ruin it but it's not good...

I'm curious how you have your air flow in your case?


I've always thought the ideal air flow is... in through the front... then back... then up then our the back/top... since heat rises that's where you want the hot air to go... that's why there is an exhaust fan directly above the video card



Of course gooda I did :-P
 
Kodiak - I think airflow depends on your case design. However, traditionally the intakes are at the front of the case, and exhaust fans are in the back. With the inclusion of top fans...those are exhaust fans as well. I'll be honest - I've never seen an intake fan placed at the back of the case as well as the front of the case. It seems that it would impede proper air flow through the case and across all of your components. If you have an intake at the front AND the back, then warm air is going to get trapped in the middle of your case. With the intake only on once side it allows cool air to be drawn across ALL of the components and then the warm air is removed in one nice, simple cycle.

I'm re-reading your post and wondering if I misunderstood you. When you typed this:

"in through the front, then back, then up then out the back/top"

do you mean just the intake in the front? In which case, disregard the top portion of this post ;-)

Side note...great job on the modified cooler!
 
Last edited:
Kodiak - I think airflow depends on your case design. However, traditionally the intakes are at the front of the case, and exhaust fans are in the back. With the inclusion of top fans...those are exhaust fans as well. I'll be honest - I've never seen an intake fan placed at the back of the case as well as the front of the case. It seems that it would impede proper air flow through the case and across all of your components. If you have an intake at the front AND the back, then warm air is going to get trapped in the middle of your case. With the intake only on once side it allows cool air to be drawn across ALL of the components and then the warm air is removed in one nice, simple cycle.

I'm re-reading your post and wondering if I misunderstood you. When you typed this:

"in through the front, then back, then up then out the back/top"

do you mean just the intake in the front? In which case, disregard the top portion of this post ;-)

Side note...great job on the modified cooler!


yeah I was just going into detail where the air travels.. in comes in through the front... travels to the back of the case... then hits the cooler which pushes it up and our of the case through either the rear or top exhaust fans
 

Latest posts

Back
Top