Mobo and CPU upgrade

Chef Ramsey

Active Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
279
Hey all,

I am looking to upgrade my mobo and cpu combination. I have been looking at the Biostar TForce TA790GX coupled with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+. The set is going to run around $200.

Anyone have any suggestions on a nice set?

The only requirements are I need PCI-express and be able to hold up to 8Gig of RAM.

Thanks!
 
I woudl've said wait for nehalem, but with that budget you aint gonna make it :p
 
I am a poor elementary school teacher! Can't afford much! I mainly want to upgrade my processor. I will have to look at my mobo when I get home and see what PIN it is and what is compatible. I may just upgrade the CPU. It has an AMD 64 4000+ right now.
 
For $200, you can't do much better than that combo. I wouldn't bother just upgrading your current CPU - upgrading to a 790GX board with a decent X2 will do fine and set you up for future upgrades. If you can splurge a little more, I'd recommend buying the Gigabyte 790GX board over the Biostar board, but that's just me.
 
in all cases, right now, there is absolutly no need for 8GB of RAM, yeah its nice, but 4GB will run you a heck of alot cheaper and will run at the exact same pace as with 8GB.

Those combos do look really good though :D
 
well i talked w/ an eGO member earlier today & he was tellin me how he has the Biostar TForce TA790GX in 1 of his machines (he didnt tell me what cpu he uses in it) but he said it was the cheapest mobo that was available. for what features it has on it, that is indeed a great price for what it has on it. in fact i got a shirt from amd earlier this year @ quakecon w/ the image of the 790GX on it. so ya i def would suggest that u get that mobo. HOWEVER, i def would suggest that u dont get 8gb of memory. like the prev guy said, that is 2 much memory. G.Skill offers 2x2gb sticks of memory for like $55+ & free shipping. def cant beat that price (after all i use G.Skill & have yet to have an issue w/ em).
 
I know this is totally off topic but...what grade do you teach? :P

Tell your students that you're a professional gamer and that you need some money so you can win a competition! Maybe they'll give up some of their money for you! :D

P.S. This is not meant to be offensive in any way...just trying to make random suggestions. >.<
 
Not offensive, just funny. Elementary school.

I am going to hold off right now. I have a wedding to pay for and can't afford it right now.

I wasn't looking for 8 gigs right now but to be able to add up to 8 gigs. I am running 2 gigs now and am fine. My first concern at the moment is a HD.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top