Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO (Officially) Announced

Glitch

Active Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
329
"Today at a flashy media event in San Francisco, LucasArts and BioWare announced development of the PC massively multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic."

Yes, we've all known for years. Yes, Bioware already said it was going to happen, but up until now we've known nothing specific. Here are the details:

Star Wars: The Old Republic revealed

Anyone excited? Anyone angry? Anyone still holding repressed emotions at being backstabbed by SOE? ...freakin Star Wars Galaxies... I WANT MY THREE YEARS BACK!!!
 
Wow lol I loved that game, Knights of the Old Republic, So is that a free update? or a whole new game?
 
Yep, I heard about that. The last thing we need is another MMO is such a saturated market. 3 came out this year alone.

Ago of Conan
Warhammer
Pirates of the Burning Sea...

Plus we have Huxley and APB on the Horizon...when will it end.
 
Can't wait i played both single player games and am dieing to play this when it comes out. just hope it meets up to my expectations.
 
This announcement made me curse for nearly 19 minutes straight. All the begging and waiting the Kotor fan base has done for the last few years and instead they give us some MMO they can use to try and squeeze more money into Lucas' pockets.
 
Doubt it'll be any good, most MMOs aren't. I'd rather just have a 3rd single player only KotOR than an MMO.
 
lol can someone answer my question if they know? is it going to be like a free update if you have the first two or a big new one that u have to pay monthly for XD? i hope its my first answer :D
 
It's a new game. You'll have to buy it, and probably pay 10-15$ a month for it. Why would Lucas Arts ever release a Star Wars game for free when they can continue to milk hundreds of thousands Star Wars fans for some easy cash instead?

And from the screenshots I've seen, they've changed the art style quite a bit from the two previous games and it doens't look very good.
 
Man I don't know about this one. I loved the 2 KotOR games, but I'm not so keen on MMO's. But I have enjoyed the Bioware games I've played so maybe they'll be the ones to do it right. I'll definitely read a lot of reviews about it and see how much it is per month first though.
 
Hmmm,,, i like the idea and i love star warsI hope that the game will be good but not go down the hole like Galaxies did.
 
Everybody knew and expected it will be Kotor MMO. Just like many others, I really wanted Bioware to make Kotor 3 to conclude/continue the story. MMO is "it" game right now, but this confirmation kinda you know what. :(
 
I'm not an MMO player, and I'm proud to say that, but this might be the one I'll get into. I have liked some MMOs in the past, but I play so little I don't see the point in paying. 16 bucks a month for 3 hours of total gameplay seemed like a waste back in the DAoC days. I guess it's just that RPGs are hit and miss for me; but KotOR was one of the rare exceptions where an RPG actually sucked me in. If BioWare makes this game feel just as epic and makes it feel like the universe its based in, I'll totally buy it. I do hope for real time combat though. Turn based combat was the only thing I disliked about KotOR, and I was still pretty willing to forgive that.
 
I can't wait for this game! I've played both KOTORs, and I always wanted a KOTOR MMORPG. I love the cartoony art style, except for the giant lightsabre handles.
 
I'm looking forward to it, to be honest. I'm a total MMO nut, I've played most of them out there. I'm just looking for some redemption for SWG. I played it for three years, but looking back it's hard to realize what made it a "star wars" mmo rather than just a sci-fi mmo. There wasn't much, really. The good thing about this game is it has such a wide-open space for story development. SWG only had the period between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. It's been stuck in that same period since 2003, and I think that was a major source of its eventual downfall. People knew what was going to happen, where the story was heading, so why change it? Not that you got a chance to make your own storyline in the first place, and that's a huge part of an MMO. A player needs to be able to create a storyline for his/her own character, that's what sets it apart from all the other characters. If it's following the same path (or path to nowhere, in SWG's case), then a player isn't going to stick with it for long.

Sometimes a game can have no storyline at all but still be open enough to allow for some HUGE customization, like EVE for instance. And If the team working on The Old Republic is any indication, the story potential will be unlike any MMO we've seen thus far. It better be, they've got about 3,500 - 4,000 years worth of story to fill.
 
It needs to have real time combat much like WoW. The game needs to be balanced. Then I would consider shelling out money to play it every month. It will take a lot to get me to stop playing my free TF2 now.
 
Although there is wayyy too many MMOs on the market, I am definately looking forward to this one. I loved KOTOR and have always talked about the awesomnacity* of a star wars MMO. Anyone have a clue what the classes/races will be??

*patent pending on awesomnacity :p
 
KoTOR 1,2 were great games (1 more then 2) and if thy DID make the same gameplay and everything inot an MMO... I would probably drop WoW.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top