TF2 connection issues

Ballzac

Thread Junky
Joined
Sep 1, 2008
Messages
858
I get stuck at either parsing server info, or sending client info, then if I actually DO get into a game, within 5 seconds it starts the "connection problem" countdown and I get booted.

Things I tried to do to fix:
Rolled back vid driver
Reinstalled
Defragged TF2/verified integrity

Im thinking it MIGHt be steam, I had some problems with Facry2 online as well (getting disconnected)

My internet connection is solid, I can go online and whatnot, anyone have an idea of what this could be?
 
i can tell ya 1st off that its a server issue communicatin w/ ur router. ive had that same exact issue. it has absolutely nothin 2 do w/ ur vid card. if ur seein that timer start in the upper right-hand corner of ur screen in tf2, that means that the server is havin issues communicatin. we have had that issue in the past w/ our goldrush server. in that case, switch to another server.
 
Edit: Now I can join servers but yes, thats the problem, I join and the counter starts up in the top right corner. But still I am getting disconnected from every server I join, and I get the occasional "your already in this server"

Im hoping it is 1 of those problems that just go away eventually.
 
i agree, it myst be your ports, your firewall shouldn't block it unless you have windows vista and a message pops up asking if you want to continue blocking hl2.exe, but after the first and only time you click unblock, firewall shouldn't block it
 
The entire steam path and everything steam does is completly allowed through my firewall, it worked today for a bit then stopped. I think its steam server issues :(
 
Ports are allowing hl2.exe, still doesnt work :?


Could of done it wrong, can anyone walk me through this?

Note: windows FW is disabled and I have AVG/Zonealarm for anti vi/FW
 
Last edited:
UPDATE: random known facts that may be of help

-As far as I know everything that is Steam and Steam related is allowed to access the internet
-I get random disconnets from my friends list that are off and on
-I sometimes stop at "parsing game info" or "sending client info"
-IF I get into a game, it will disconnect me after I join or freeze after I pick a class
-My favorites list always has the "admin school" server but other servers will randomly disappear/reappear
-Primary list of games sometimes is vary scarce or doesnt load
-The game worked fine like 4 days ago then this randomly happened

P.S. Is it possible it could be a tcpip.sys problem or something related?
P.S.S Ive heard reconfiguring your router may help, Ive yet to try that could that also be a solvent for this?

ANY FEEDBACK WOULD HELP! Thanks.
 
Couple of questions:
1. Are you using wireless or wired?
-Look around and make sure you're running the latest versions of your ethernet or wireless drivers.
-Roll back, or uninstall your internet drivers and reinstall them.

2. Is there another computer with Steam and the games you play at the house? Or possibly a friend nearby?
-Hook up his/her computer to your router and see if they start to encounter the same problems. If they do, this could be indicative of a failing router. Consider updating the firmware on it, or replacing it altogether.

Try testing these out. If your router works, then you can be certain it has something to do with your machine. Don't wipe your computer and give yourself a reinstallation headache without testing out all the options.

3. Are there non-steam games you've added to your games list?
-I ask because this seemed to be the cause for my steam issues. One game, I'm not sure if it was Hellgate or Fable, when added to steam caused the client to spend long periods of time searching for updates for it. Connecting to a TF2 game would lock me out at the parsing server area and when I could connect, it froze altogether.

Just things to think about. Steam can be a fickle lass, but don't discount hardware issues.
Hope this helps.

-Foxhound

EDIT*: Updating the firmware on your router will erase your passwords, port forwardings, and the like. Be sure to record any pertinent info before you do this. ( I learned this the hard way )
 
Last edited:
I believe I have isolated the problem to it being Zonealarm, Ill go from there and figure it out thanks for the comments everyone :)
 
lol, ask steam nicely next time.. lol im kidding
I dont know what to say .. I really dont know what could be causing ur connection to act like that
WEIRD
 
Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates and updated virus sigs, then disable zone alarm and connect your PC directly to your cable/dsl modem (bypass the router).
 
Seriously Gunning is right. That should be your NEXT first step. Bypass your router if you can.
 
Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates and updated virus sigs, then disable zone alarm and connect your PC directly to your cable/dsl modem (bypass the router).

Go with this thought... eliminate everything in the way and then add one piece back in until you figure out what the problem is... if you are having problems with TF2, you may very well with COD5 as well... :(
 
May have already been said, don't know. I had a problem exacly like yours. It could simply be that you router sucks and is creating packet loss which is messing up your connection. Or another problem I had is a virus that basically can do the same thing in terms of hindeing your connection but mainly thigs like stopping/slowing down updates and loadings. I doubt this will help but these were the problems I was faced with.
 
Ok Balzac -

So I can't really tell what all you've tried yet, so here are your basic troubleshooting steps. You need to try ALL of these to figure out where your problem is:

1. Remove any routers or hubs and connect your computer directly to your internet connection

2. Disable all firewalls (windows AND zone alarm) completely

3. Disable all antivirus programs

Alright - now try connecting. If you are able to connect and stay connected over a decent period of time, then try going back up the list one step at a time. If after undoing any of the steps you are unable to stay connected, then you've found your problem.

If you've gone through all of those steps and you still can't stay connected, then you should try the following:

1. Uninstall Steam completely (including deleting all files and folders) and reinstall Steam (I'm almost positive you've already done this)

2. Run checks for spyware and viruses

3. Run CCleaner

4. If all else fails, reinstall Windows - you may have a networking problem that is only showing up when something is using more bandwidth (like your game).

Remember that you need to go through each and every one of these steps in order to isolate the problem. Good luck!
 
Ok so here is what it sounds like to me.

First off try to think about anything that changed durring the period of time when the problem first poped up. Did you install any new hardware or software about that time?
Do other games work?
Do other steam games work?
How is your ping? try going to a command prompt by going to Start > Run type in CMD hit enter. type in "ping news.com -t" let it run for a while. Do you notice any dropped packets?

This all sounds like a software firewall issue to me, a hardware firewall will normaly kill communications from the start "EG you should never connect in the first place"
If this were me I would get into your router and turn off all security, then right click on my computer > manage > services try stopping the windows firewall service if its running, then try stopping the zone alarm firewall if running.
Once you have all firewalls turned off try to connect. if you connect play for 2-3 minutes to make sure its not a fluke. Then start turning things back on one at a time, and test connection after every change. This should show you where the problem is.

Let me know what the results are on this. Also if it will help I can launch a webex and remote control into your PC to check things out if you would like.

Hope this helps.
 
Thanks everyone for the information, I will try these suggestions and see how it works out!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top