constant freezing ingame

Librarian

Active Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
261
Hey guys, new to the forum and clan. I recently started having some problems with my computer freezing while playing. It happened when I added a 8800GT to my rig. My primary GPU is a 9800GX2. I'm not sure if they are just screwing each other up. I can play for 5-30 min usually and somewhere along the line everything freezes and my only solution is a cold restart. Just looking for any opinions on the matter.
 
ok so what exactly do you have running in your computer right now... that would help alot in this situation. I dont quite exactly know what you mean when you added your 8800GT and they are screwing eachother up...
 
Think he basicly means he changed his old grafic-card to a 8800GT. (If it's a grafic-card he means. I'm guessing so:D)

And ye Librarian, would help ALOT if you could just add the names of the things you are running inside your computer :)
 
No, I think he moved to SLI, usually SLI works better when both graphics cards are the same.
 
Ok, I will clear all this up. I'm copying my sig from another forum.

Rig:
Windows XP Pro Nlite Edition, Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP, X3210 @ 3.15ghz, Dtek Fuzion,
Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB 800 D9GMH, EVGA 9800GX2 1GB, EVGA 8800GT 512MB,
WD150GBRaptor/WD250GB/ WD160GB, Lite-On LH-20A1S, Silverstone Olympia 850W,
Lian Li PC-A70, 2x Planar 20" << 3xGPU : 1xSMP Folding Monster >>

My cards are _not_ in SLI, each of my GX2 cores are running independent as well. So it's basically 3 cores running in my rig.
 
Just a Q why? if you ran the system with the 9800GX2 and letting them run together as they are designed to your system would preform better, the 8800GT is not then worth having in your system, your more than probably causing bottle necks in your bus.
 
The answer is that I do simulations for research. The project is called folding at home. It uses the CPU / GPU, to do work. I've been doing this for about two years now. It doesn't imped my gaming because it only uses idle cycles of the CPU and GPU.
 
I'll say it again. SLI only works with 2 of the same graphics cards otherwise it crashes
 
But he aint running them SLI mate..

My cards are _not_ in SLI, each of my GX2 cores are running independent as well. So it's basically 3 cores running in my rig.
 
The board I have is a intel chipset (p35) so I couldn't run SLI even if I wanted to. My thing is that everything ran smooth until I put that card in (the card was in another computer before hand and it worked fine in there). As far as I know the 8 and 9 series use the same drivers.
 
ok, well the first thing i would try downloading the newest drivers for your system.

if that doesnt work, i would just try removing the 8 series card, and see if that abrupts your game, if it does, then we know the cause is having that card in there, and you may not be able to currently run that
 
I've had this too, because my 2 cards were so close to eachother, they got to hot. I got the problem fixed by adding another fan..
 
I will try to remove the card (I'm running the newest stable drivers) and see if it helps. As far as temp, I have both card's fans running at 100% so my temps are never above 80C during load.

The only thing is that I would like to keep the 8800 in my rig if I can, I put it in there from my other computer to save power (saves me 4.8kWH a day).
 
My temps never get over 65?c.... I think 70+ is too hot....
 
Well my ambient temp here is 90F during the day, so it makes the temps higher then normal anyhow. I have no A/C in my apartment, so things do cook a little more. My cards are running the same temps they were when in separate cases, but in the same case they do this...I think I read somewhere that the CUDA drivers don't work so well for the 8 series cards.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top