FpS Hiccups in TF2 with XP.

Anthemjack

Active Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2008
Messages
408
I have experienced this problem, which I never had in Vista before.

I never Hiccup (Going from 60 Fps to 10-15 FPS then go up), before on Vista, now I got it on XP, probably the heat... (72-75C when gaming and 63-68 C surfing, idk about idle :(, and my power supply is a P4 375 or something watt).
 
An 8400GS? Are you sure you have the right temperatures? I have an 8800 GT overclocked and it idles at about 50 degrees C and 65 degrees C under load. You should find someway to cool that.
 
An 8400GS? Are you sure you have the right temperatures? I have an 8800 GT overclocked and it idles at about 50 degrees C and 65 degrees C under load. You should find someway to cool that.

How? I think I formatted wrong, I don't even KNOW HOW TO COOL IT! I mean c'mon, I never did anything that relates to anything that is to fan/OC/etc.
 
How old is that card, your rig ? Maybe it's just time to upgrade ?
 
How old is that card, your rig ? Maybe it's just time to upgrade ?

Its a

Asus m2n MX se plus

Idk what fan it is... But it has 1 case fan and a CPU fan.

A 8400GS.

Sound card (got it 2 days ago).

A Ethernet card.

A heatsink fan, I dunno what type. :(

A 240GB hard-drive.

CD and DVD burners. 2

A floppy disk

A 375 max Watt. ( I dunno how much it gots, since its kinda weird looking).

2 Gigabyte ram.

And I'll try to see more what I can find.
 
Get a minidesktop fan, and stick it right in front of one of the intake fans. It'll look really tacky, and the noise is horrendous, but it always works.
 
Get a minidesktop fan, and stick it right in front of one of the intake fans. It'll look really tacky, and the noise is horrendous, but it always works.

Thanks for the tip, but, I took the old Ethernet card out, and it went down 5 - 3 C,

So its 58-61 C surfing and 58-59 Idle, and 70-68 C playing games, still I have the hiccups problem still.
 
One thing I sugest you do atleast every few months is taking a can of compresses air and blow thru the video cards heat sink and knock all the dust out. You need to make sure you clean your PC atleast every 3-4 months. I have a very clean house, but I still build up an amazing amount of dust in my PC.

If this does not help then re-install your video driver.
 
One thing I sugest you do atleast every few months is taking a can of compresses air and blow thru the video cards heat sink and knock all the dust out. You need to make sure you clean your PC atleast every 3-4 months. I have a very clean house, but I still build up an amazing amount of dust in my PC.

If this does not help then re-install your video driver.

Ok, if it works. Will I dunno how to send mail so, I'll say thank you!

Reinstall my video driver might be a good Idea, I think it messed up during formatting.
 
The 8400GS is an old card, and it was a budget card back then. I think its time for you to upgrade your pc or your powersupply and graphics at the least. Heat could also be a problem so, try adding more fans and cleaning the computer out.
 
The 8400GS is an old card, and it was a budget card back then. I think its time for you to upgrade your pc or your powersupply and graphics at the least. Heat could also be a problem so, try adding more fans and cleaning the computer out.

I can't buy a new Power supply/Graphic card until grades come out, or something, I'll need to do something, Heat is currently my problem I guess, so I am planning to get the 8800GTS or 8800GT, but i'll also need a new Powersupply, that is where the problem comes in, I dunno how to even get a good Powersupply, I am getting 8800GT(S) either from EVGA, XFX, or BFG. So I know the good company for Power supply is Rosewill, but some of there good Powersupply (P4) Doesn't really come cheap though.
 
Problem: Hiccups
Solution: Scaring the crap out of it. Turn on your computer, stand still and be really really quiet, and all of the sudden, kick your computer. It'll get so scared and get rid of the hiccups :P
 
Just take a piece of paper and make it into a fan and fan the heat away from your computer..
So you dont have a fan on your card?
 
I would say if you can keep it below 70C you should be OK. If it becomes impossible to keep it below that, then you can worry.
 
Just take a piece of paper and make it into a fan and fan the heat away from your computer..
So you dont have a fan on your card?

Yes I have a fan on it, it runs 3400-3600RPM, and keeps cool, All I need is one more case fan, and to the 650W, THAT IS FREAKING CRAZY!!!!! I mean c'mon its expensive, and my dad won't lemme buy it :(... Of course if I get the 8600GT(S) it would still be ok...
 
Good news. I think I found a solution for ya ;-)

ghetto-drive-open.jpg


on a side note check the eVGA site. They have discounts on video cards that people used the trade up program on. So you can save some cash on your video card upgrade.
 
Fixed... I got it back to Vista ultimate, thanks for helping me, but my grandpa's friend built the computer for me and he said its only for Vista, the reason why it lags is that it has Windows XP issues... But thanks for the advice guys, you guys ultimately helped me through out this thread as much as possible.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top