Help Wanted

eGO-News.png



Idling and You​

You can help your favorite server out simply by staying connected to it in the slower times of the day.T his is a proven form of server management.

For example, when you are heading off to bed you can go to spec and Idle there for awhile or even overnight if the server is not full. Or when you wake up and notice an empty server, you can join and Idle while you are getting ready for school or work.

Some servers need this more than others. But all of them need it occasionally.

Since we are in the slow time of the year for gaming, your help is needed!
 
I pretty much already do that... I keep xfire up and will just spec a game if no one is in.
 
I may be the only one who feels this way, but tricking people into joining what they think is a populated server, only to have them be the only one actually playing, seems like a pretty immature way of managing our servers. Also seems to be a good way to alienate the PuG's who are keeping things running most of the time.

The thing is that when a player comes in, even though they may be the only one active, the thought process usually goes, "Well since I'm here I'll hang around for a bit." Then someone else shows up, and it is a domino effect. And if being smart is being immature then we have alot of immature people around here. It's managing resources. And to be honest the term PuG, means pick up group if I'm not mistaken. So I'm not really sure what you meant by that :-/. Also, this is DEFINATELY not a requirement. If you want to, go for it. I personally do it almost every weekday morning. If you don't want to then don't. But yea guys. It's really easy, hit the power button when you get up. Get ready for work, double click a game, double click a server and.. you're done. That quick and simple, takes maybe 2-3 minutes.
 
The servers will fill up. And if the admins in the game need to make room - they'll kick you (nicely)...it's all good - job done for the good of eGO.
 
The thing is that when a player comes in, even though they may be the only one active, the thought process usually goes, "Well since I'm here I'll hang around for a bit." Then someone else shows up, and it is a domino effect. And if being smart is being immature then we have alot of immature people around here. It's managing resources. And to be honest the term PuG, means pick up group if I'm not mistaken. So I'm not really sure what you meant by that :-/. Also, this is DEFINATELY not a requirement. If you want to, go for it. I personally do it almost every weekday morning. If you don't want to then don't. But yea guys. It's really easy, hit the power button when you get up. Get ready for work, double click a game, double click a server and.. you're done. That quick and simple, takes maybe 2-3 minutes.

The vast majority of people playing on our servers are PuG's. And if you check the TF2 forums lately, people hate servers that do stuff like this, so most likely, the people aren't going to "hang around a bit" they're going to find a new server and never come back.

I hadn't even though about the waste of energy this does, way to destroy the planet even more guys.

Servers are empty sometimes. That's a fact of the internet you just need to deal with.
 
I used to do this on the palermo/anzio server, unfortunately it has taken its toll on my video card. But i suggest that everyone do this cause it helps the server.
 
Yes, today and most days, I go to each server in turn play a few rounds and let it fill and leave when its about 20 people up.
 
i'm not sure of the ethics about this either.. surely providing a kick ass server will ensure it's filled as much as it can possibly be (people work and sleep etc, you can't expect to have a server full 100% of the time.)
 
i believe this is only effective if there are other people actually playing in the server. I know when i join a server and theres no one actively playing i usually just leave. It kind of angers me. This is a great tactic for keeping our servers going but it is only wasting energy. I have idled in servers and it didnt seem to change much. especially in CoD4.

I dont have anything against this idea but i think it should be used effectively. Instead of idling in an empty server join one that has a few people playing in it. Most people wouldnt care if theres a spec or 2 if theres still like 6-10 people in the server. Not as many people would be as willing to stick around in a server if the only people in it are in spec. Especially if they only are playing for a short time. they wont want to waste it playing by themselves.
 
With the left 4 dead demo coming out for preorders tomorrow, and going public next week, a significantly smaller number of people will be playing our other games. This goes for the servers we compete against to. If we can get a good idling presence going overnight, we have a good chance of raising the rank of our servers.
 
I get up every morning at 3am cst... stumble through the apartment.... turn on the computer... wash my face... then log into a server while getting ready for work... the little bump in stats may not be much, but it is something! This is by far the easiest way you will ever help eGO!
 
I'll setup one of my notebooks and give it a try. Remembering will be the big issue for me.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top