PSU Reccomendations

metro

Thread Junky
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
916
I am planning on buying a Palit 4850HD Sonic (1GB) video card. The card recommends a 500W or more power supply, so I need to upgrade my current 430W CM PSU.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a 500-550W PSU for under $100 CAD ($85 USD). As my case is not a full tower, I was also looking at possibly getting a modular PSU, are there any downsides to that besides cost?

Thanks.
 
the following is a list of possible psu from what you requested:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058%20113142556%201131316572%201131509966%201295418939%204027&name=$75%20-%20$100
^this is the only place i shop for psu cause no1 else has yet 2 beat their selection (although tigerdirect has some good prices but can never beat their selection)
 
The major downnside to a modular is that they cost more. Say the 700watt regular version cost $80.... the same PSY but with modular will cost $110.

I recommend OCZ PSUs, but remember.... everyone will recommend something different... but $45 after rebate for a good 600watt PSU is not too shabby....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

this is true !! I recommend pc power and cooling. I use the 750 in my primary gaming rig, but my other computer that I have as a backup gaming rig uses this ocz 600 watt power supply and it has not failed me yet, and in my backup gaming computers backup (lol) uses a coolermaster 650 watt and it has also servered me well.

but as a personal note get the most expensive a can afford the PSU is very important!!!!
 
Last edited:
I'd also like to point out that you should never skimp out on a PSU. It's the backbone of your computer. If it dies, chances are it could take a few things with it.

~Gooda~
 
I'd also like to point out that you should never skimp out on a PSU. It's the backbone of your computer. If it dies, chances are it could take a few things with it.

~Gooda~

It could take out you whole house if it burns :D
 
I would NEVER recommend the Neo Power line again... I had one for less than 6 months before it started overheating and shutting itself down for safety... it was a real headache... that is when I switched away from Antec (all of my PSUs before were Antec)...
 
I would NEVER recommend the Neo Power line again... I had one for less than 6 months before it started overheating and shutting itself down for safety... it was a real headache... that is when I switched away from Antec (all of my PSUs before were Antec)...

Well, they do come with a 3 year warranty, so if it does fail they'll replace it for you.
 
This is what I have in my system. Tis running 2 9800gx2, a pair of raptors, and three storage drives. Has been rock solid - and as a bonus has the goofy 8-pin and 6-pin connectors the 9800gx2 needed. Very quiet. Be warned, it is big. Make sure it would fit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009&Tpk=S75QB

PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified

$134.99 ($99.99 after $35.00 Mail-In Rebate, $89.99 with w/ promo code "EMCBBAEAC", ends 11/10)
 
My 550w wouldn't even power my computer during hard loads with my 8800 GT so my computer would just turn off. So I bought a 950Watt for only 150 bucks on newegg. It was discounted around 100 dollars. I recommend finding a great deal before purchasing and 650+ if gaming extreme.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top