Installing heatsinks onto a Graphic card or VGA card.

Anthemjack

Active Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2008
Messages
408
Hey guys!

I have been wondering, how do I install a heatsink onto a VGA cooler that doesn't have one? I'm planning to buy a VGA cooler for my graphic card (Dang runs hot!), I know how to install the VGA cooler, but I need to know about the thermal compound, and how to put a Heatsink into a non-heatsink graphic card.
 
Graphics card == VGA card.

Rephrase your question a bit better...I can't understand the last part "How to put a heatsink on a non heatsink GFX card"

~Gooda~
 
Are you talking about removing an air cooler to put on a waterblock or a duo-orb type cooler ?

Or are you re-applying the ramsinks ?
 
Post your card model and manufacturer in your post. The types of coolers that come standard on a card vary so wildly, even within the same "model" of card.
 
Oops sorry guys if I confused you, I meant putting a Heatsink onto a VGA card that doesn't have a heatsink sorry!. QB its a 8400GS EVGA card and Firesauce, I'm not getting water cooled, its an Air cooling fan.
 
I'd like to see that... I've haven't heard, at least at not in many many many years, of any VGA card not having a heat sink... especially an 8 series card... newegg doesn't have any non heat sink cards...


I would say any heat sink compatible with your card whether it has a heat sink or not should work... there should still be mounting holes for one...
 
I'd like to see that... I've haven't heard, at least at not in many many many years, of any VGA card not having a heat sink... especially an 8 series card... newegg doesn't have any non heat sink cards...


I would say any heat sink compatible with your card whether it has a heat sink or not should work... there should still be mounting holes for one...

Uhhh, I think its this graphic card,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...VGA GeForce 8400 GS 512-P2-N738-LR Video Card

and how do you see its mounting hole?
 
from that picture the top left and bottom right corner of the fan are pins that hold the fan on, you will use those to mount your own
 
from that picture the top left and bottom right corner of the fan are pins that hold the fan on, you will use those to mount your own

Interesting, and EVGA is not smart enough and not put it on some of their VGA cards (IMO NO FLAME WARS!).

Thanks for the help dude, now i'll understand how to install heat sinks onto my VGA card, and probably elsewhere.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top