WinMX Channel

imitation

Active Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2008
Messages
335
I know we have a irc channel, but have you guys ever thought of putting a channel on WinMX. If you guys don't know what WinMX is I'd be glad to explain and show you.
 
WinMX is a P2P (peer to peer) chat program. Imagine limewire, where you can download files, but you can also set up chat rooms in WinMx, which i used to do. It's somewhat like irc but i prefer WinMx.

WinMx is completely free and can be easy to learn if someone wanted to set up a WinMx channel
 
Last edited:
IRC and Ventrilo are sufficient outside the website, but not only that, P2P is still considered a grey area prone to abuse and there's no need to associate eGO with that.

Between the Forums, Shoutbox, Ventrilo, IRC, and Steam we have more than enough ways for members to communicate and don't need to add anymore to the mix.

What you do on your own is up to you, but I don't see eGO officially sanctioning something like this. Thanks for the thought though, and don't hesitate to offer further suggestions in the future.
 
i havent been in the irc channel in months due to limitations at work and business at home, but personally I think it would be unnecessary to have TWO channels, so unless the majority of IRC guys would prefer winmx over irc, this may or may not be a good idea, thanks imitation


edit* and as dryft said, the p2p part is somewhat of a grey area eGO may not want to be involved with. thanks dryft :-)
 
No problem, im just trying to help. As far as p2p, i can understand what most people might feel about that. I just thought that it might be a good way to attract more players to eGO that don't know about it.
 
If I remember right, WinMX was at one point shut down because of all the illegal music downloading that occurred on it. I don't know if it is still used for this, but I doubt the Council would go for it with this background. Besides, as was mentioned earlier, we have several forms of communication, I don't see any point in adding another. We thank you for the idea though. :)
 
Yes, piece you are right. The RIAA shut down WinMX because of the pirateing that happened on the program. Then someone named King Marco developed a caching server to allow people to continue to use WinMX. Needless to say KM has left WinMX since then.

But alot of it still does happen, but that's only if you choose to go to those kind of channels or use it for that. Personally i don't download files from WinMX.

But there's a history lesson too. All of that stuff with King Marco happened in September 2005 I believe.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top