Problems with booting my Comp.

Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
79
My computer broke a while ago so I got one of my old labtops to use and now I have the XP Installation disk. First of all my screen goes to black when I turn it on then it does a dell boot and then once thats done it goes to a black screen that says my information about my computer and under it it says floppy diskette seek failure strike F1 to continue, F2 to run the setup utility if I press F1 it goes Press any key to boot from CD... and turns black.... the computer makes its normal sounds but the screen is just black if you have any suggestions please explain whats going on.
 
my computer doesnt have a floppy drive. Sorry about that I was just rushing my typing.
 
Last edited:
It's asking you for a floppy and cd because of your bios boot order. It would normally check for bootable media in the floppy drive, then the cd drive, then boot from the hard drive if nothing was found.

In your case it sounds like it's not seeing the hard drive (or recognizing the OS on it). Try putting the XP CD in and pressing any key to boot from it, then try doing a repair and see if it recognizes the hard drive. Or have you tried that (with the cd in) and that's when the screen just goes black?
 
There are usually two solutions for this problem. The first is Gunning recommendation. The second is easier yet more complex at the same time (paradox, oooooo!) If t using the XP disk doesn't work I will tell you the other solution. If I tell you now it will just be really confusing.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top