New Router

Existence.

EGO Zealot
Joined
Nov 22, 2007
Messages
1,626
Hey all,

Here's my problem. I currently have a Linksys WRT54G router, and Bell Sympatico internet. (I live in Canada.) The router has definitely served me well in the past, but I think it's time to grab a new one.

The problem is, about every hour, the internet completely doesn't work. I check my modem, and the activity light isn't on. (It always is flashing, even when all PC's in the network are off.) So, I reset my modem and router, and the internet works for another hour.

I have no idea if this is a router problem, modem problem, or Bell's fault.

Anyways, I've been looking at purchasing a new router. There are 4 wireless computers on my network, and 2 wired. I'm definitely purchasing a Wireless N router, but I'm confused on which model I should get. Theres so many different Turbo Extreme Dual Band Wireless Rangemax routers, I'm completely lost.

I've been looking at the Linksys WRT160N.

Any help is appreciated.
 
I'm not sure the router is your problem. It could be, and they do crap out, but I wouldn't shell out that much money for a new router and it not be the problem.

My suggestion is that you see if you can borrow a router. If the problem is the same on the new router, it's your internet. You could have a bad modem.
 
I also recommend hooking the computer straight up to the modem (bypass the router) and see if that fixes it. If you don't have any problems after that test, you can buy a new router with confidence.
 
I say use DD-WRT and give that old router new life. I use it on mine and it still runs strong to this day.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/

If that's not an option, how much are you looking to spend really?
 
I also recommend hooking the computer straight up to the modem (bypass the router) and see if that fixes it. If you don't have any problems after that test, you can buy a new router with confidence.

Exactly.
 
I actually had a similar problem like urs buddy. I figured it was the modem that SBC sent me and requested a new one. Got it and its been fine ever since. If the lights are bugging out on ur modem it has nothing to do with your router.
 
I'm with Clarko on this one...there is a slight possibility that your router is causing problems, but with the symptoms you're describing that possibility is VERY slim. Sounds like your modem is causing the problems. If you're having to reset THAT in order to fix your connection, then it's not your router. Call your ISP and let them know about the issue. They will trouble-shoot with you over the phone and try to get rid of you, but you need to be persistent. Let them know that it's a recurring problem, and don't let them get you off the phone. Ask for someone higher up the chain if you need to. In the end you either need them to send you a new modem or send a tech out to your house for a line-test.
 
Hey if your using a usb linksys adapter this is a heads up they don't work with any D-Link router's at all.
 
Whatever router you get I would suggest one that supports either DD-WRT or OpenWrt firmware. Both third-party firmwares add a lot of functionality to your router that the stock router firmwares can't even come close to competing with.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top