Mic is bad?

Joined
Aug 10, 2008
Messages
553
I just got a new mic. Plugged it into my computer(not usb slot).

People are telling me that they hear a lot of feedback when I'm talking. Could someone help me out to fix it. Advice?
 
Did you get a standalone microphone or a headset? Cause if you have a mic and it is in front of your speakers, you're very likely to get a loop from what you said into the mic, coming out of your speakers, and going back in to your mic, etc, on and on. The longer you talk, the worse it gets. Of course, if you're using headphone + mic, that won't be a problem.
 
First, what OS are you using? Next, there are a few things to try:

1. Open up the properties of your microphone. If you right click on your speaker icon, in the icon tray of your desktop (lower right hand corner), you should see an option for "recording devices." Choose your microphone and then properties. Once there, you should see a tab that references levels.

2. What are the levels set for your microphone? I bet they might be too high. Try adjusting them, first the boost and then the overall mic input level.

3. Try adjusting the mic level within the game(s) you're playing. They should have an input level adjustment too.

Last, what do you mean by feedback? Do you mean an echo-like feedback where what you say is repeated a second later? Or do you mean a whine and tinny sound?
 
I have Windows Xp. I've tried adjusting these settings and the same result....feedback. By feedback I mean like a BRRRRRRRRR sound. No echo at all. I used the voice recorder program to record my voice and then play it back. I can hear my voice but the loud sound is so loud you can barely hear my voice. If you want to add me to your friends list. Next time you are on. I can do a "Voice Chat" and you can hear the horrible noise. I don't know. I bought it at a Circuit City that was going out of bussiness. So if it's a bad headset i'm screwed. Maybe I should have someone fix the drawing at the next meeting. Maybe I can get a headset.
 
If you truly have feedback, unplug your external speakers and remove any other sources of EM interference near your PC (speakers, stereo, iPod, cell phone, cordless phone, TV, radio, etc).

If you still have "feedback", it's probably not real feedback. It's a problem with the headphone and/or PC itself. If you don't have any feedback, then you have real "feedback" and it's due to EM interference.

I'm going to guess you don't have real feedback, and you're having a problem with the headset or your PC. The easiest thing to do would be to get another mic. Borrow one from a friend or just get a cheap one. Even if the quality of sound is bad, see if the feedback is still present.

If it is, then it's a problem with your PC not with the headset and mic. In that case, you should probably check your drivers and update them (I'm guessing Realtek, but could be anything).

On the other hand, if you try a different mic and things sound better, it's a busted headset/mic. Plantronics is pretty good, and you can approach them for repair if you can't return at Circuit City.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top