Scavenger Hunt- (need your help)

xenophek

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
735
Ok, I'm in quite a pickle. I need to upgrade an aging computer to a Athlon 64 x2, but I also need two IDE and one floppy ports. I looked all over Newegg for a board with those specifications, but it is nonexistent.

I need your help finding a motherboard like that. The first one to find such a product gets a good hearty pat on the back for being better than me.
------------------------------
EDIT:
I also forgot to mention that is has to be Micro ATX
 
Last edited:
Any chance you'd have more luck (and speed) just getting a "normal" board and using this?

Oh, and since you say aging, PCIx or AGP?
 
Last edited:
No, I'm afraid that won't do. Dual core is a must, and that adapter is approaching the price range for a new SATA HDD.

It's for a non-savvy lady. She sees the commercials for Core 2 Duos and immediately associates dual core with extreme performance boost. I know that a really fast single core can be better than a dual, but if it makes her feel better...
 
I didn't mean "normal" as in junky, I meant normal as in 1xIDE, 2-6XSATA. And there are cheaper adapters, that was just the first one that came up. Here's one for $7.

Again, PCIx or AGP video? Or old PCI, lol...
 
Hmm. Well I do believe this fits the bill???

  • Athlon 64 x2 >> CPU: Socket AM2 support AMD Athlon 64 FX/ Athlon 64 x2 Dual-core/ Athlon 64/ Sempron processor; FSB 1000 MHz
  • two IDE >> IDE/SATA: 2x ATA-133 channels; 2x SATA ports
  • one floppy >> not specified on site, but is clearly visible
  • Micro ATX >> Form Factor: Micro-ATX, 244 x 200 mm

Newegg link
Frooge link

And another board that might fit the bill.

Any objections? Did I miss something???
 
I didn't mean "normal" as in junky, I meant normal as in 1xIDE, 2-6XSATA. And there are cheaper adapters, that was just the first one that came up. Here's one for $7.

Again, PCIx or AGP video? Or old PCI, lol...

I misread your first post, sorry.

I personally would use the adapter, if I had to, because I can fix my own computer if anything goes to hell in a handbasket. This is for someone who can barely turn it on and open IE to check email. I don't trust that adapter to be rock solid for her.

I've lined up a CPU/Motherboard combo on TigerDirect with a new HDD if I can't find a appropriate motherboard for what I need. It's a little more costly on my part, but the new HDD is SATA. Please keep offering advice, if you have it.
 
Cool, those boards are what I'm looking for. That one on Newegg is out of stock though.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top