Steam + TF2 + Linux = ???

=[Ga]= AutoDMC

Thread Thumper
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
1,113
Anyone here get steam and Source games running on Linux?

I ask because my Windows install got all borked, and my Windows Install Disks are in storage somewhere. As a stopgap for the weeks between now and getting my disks, I've got a Gentoo Linux installation going (lucky, lucky, I already had it dualbooting before Windows tanked and can still use my computer!)

However, this now leaves me with a lack of ability to play TF2, a problem which is causing me physical, palpable, pain.

But I've heard rumors that some here have gotten source games running under Linux... anyone wanna spill the beans?
 
Crossover i think is the thing to do it. Find me on IRC i might be able to help you out.
 
not sure if you have fixed your problem yet but I would probably suggest Wine. Here's a quote from their homepage:
Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X, OpenGL, and Unix.

Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris.
You could use this as I believe that Crossover is payware. However, it's $40 so if you are ready to spend that much money, then I would suggest getting that
 
Yeah. Looking up Crossover games, they explicitly state TF2 as one of the games they test against; they have the Heavy hugging his gun in the screenshot, and the Sniper's silhouette elsewhere, so I think TF2 is a priority for them :D

I'll take the 7 day test drive on Crossover and see if it's worth it; they test and tweak it and don't break it, and Gentoo is known for randomly breaking things. That's the excitement of Gentoo, but I play the games to cool OFF from excitement, not to get new ones :D

Walmart Security, if/when I get TF2 running on Linux, I'll post proof here :D

...Heck, I've only kept Vista because of TF2... if I can get it running on Linux I'll swicheroo full time... again!

(I always run Linux until I find a must-have program (this last time, TF2) which causes me to install a dual-booter... then dual-booting ends up annoying me and I switch full time out of lazyness, and then something happens to where I'm on Gentoo again :D)

I've tried the "ferment your own WINE" path with Gentoo to get games to work, and I still smart from that headache.
 
Well, I did get Steam/TF2 to install, and I tested it. I need to do some tweaking to get it set up just right; details when I can get photographic evidence.
 
Sweet, Auto, would love to see your evidence.

I got TF2 working a while ago on Ubuntu + Wine. The game had a bit of framerate issues, but other than that it ran perfect.
 
I said I got Steam and TF2 working in Linux, and here's my evidence. WARNING... a Heavy Weapons Guy load of screenshots (apparently the board has a 12 inline image limit. A limit I would normally support happily if I hadn't found out after doing all this work!). Click for higher res versions.

First, evidence that I'm running Ubuntu:



From this screenshot, you can see that (1) my real name is Shawn Boles, (2) that I like the color pink (sue me), and (3) that I have a Powerpuff Girls Z themed wallpaper. Long story short on 3, I always name my computers after a female game or cartoon character... with my Phenom Tri Core Processor, I've tried to have "Three" themed names and themes. My Windows boot is named "Zelda" (Triforce) with a Zelda Theme, and my GNU/Linux boot is named "PPG" with a Powerpuff Girls theme (three... powerpuff girls).

And their show is one of the best shows since Fairy Odd Parents and Rocky and Bullwinkle, but I digress...

You can see the Gnome About Screen, see TOP running in a gterm, and the Ubuntu Root File Tree. So there.

I installed PlayOnLinux (found here: http://www.playonlinux.com/en/) to manage my Steam installation and WINE configuration. Installing Steam is, literally, a "Next, Next, OK, Yes, Next, Next" installer with PlayOnLinux. It doesn't take long. but you get to wait through installing all your old games again. Yay!

In any case, Install Steam through PlayOnLinux, and you get an icon on your desktop! I had WINE already installed through apt-get, so I got a Steam menu item in my main menu too. Don't know if this happens if you just use the POL system, your mileage might vary!

SteamIconInLinux.png




Moving right ahead... clicking on the icon gets you the Steam Log In Box, just like Windows... fill that out and up comes the Steam window!



I had heard that Steam Community was broken on Linux because it uses Internet Explorer (obviously a Windows Only product!) but alas, it works just fine thanks to Gecko HTML rendering technology:



One more note about running Steam on Linux... YOU MUST TURN OFF VISUAL EFFECTS. I can't say this strongly enough. WINE and Steam choke on it, and you get like 10FPS in game if you have Visual Effects on. Visual effects are neat because they give you wobbly windows, transparency in windows, etc... it's neat but eye candy...

WubblyWindows.jpg


Go to System -> Preferences -> Visual Effects, and pick None.

Now, got that out of the way... to the game!

I'm not going to walk you through installation.. it's the same as windows. Right click a game, pick Install, and follow the prompts.

To start the game, double click it in My games. Or click the game and pick Launch.

And it works! Graphics! Sound! It's a beaut!



I've expanded the screenshot a bit to show my Performance graphs, for an idea on what the game consumes with Linux. From left to right...

  1. Processor (on my Tricore Phenom, 100% of one processor. The graph has all three processors stacked on each other, so 1/3 is 100% one processor)
  2. Memory (Dark green is actually used. Light green is file cache. I use about 1G of my 2G of memory)
  3. Network (Barely use this, ironically.)
  4. Swap Space (I have 8G of swap, mainly because I don't want to have to repartition when I upgrade my memory. Barely touch this, unlike superswappy Windows)
  5. System Load Average (The bigger this graph, the more the computer is working to keep up.
  6. Disk IO (Only during loading, etc)

Pulling up the console is depressing, however:



Click on the image to zoom in; yes, the console is garbled. Maybe there's some kind of external Source console I can use, something text mode? If Steam actually outputted a console dump like every other program on Linux, instead of requiring "condump" to be typed in, I could tail the console in a regular text window... is there a way to make Source constantly dump the console? A question to the knowledgeable people around here.

Loading a map looks just fine (except the rounded rectangle around the stats looks a bit ragged...):

Click for image:
http://images.autodmc.org/d/99-1/TurbineLoading.jpg

And ingame isn't too bad... nothing some graphics tweaks won't fix. I'm getting 10-30FPS, depending on the complexity of the scene in front of me. And the textures aren't rockin... again, just some graphics tweaks. (Don't let the FPS meter fake you out... 60FPS when rendering a CORNER not a ROOM)



I was told to use the -dxlevel 80 switch in the Launch Options... but I get a LockVertexBuffer error when I do that... WINE bug FTW! But I hear of another switch that might rock...

-gl

Why would -gl rock? Because -gl used to tell Source to use OpenGL... now it doesn't do that... strange enough, it sets DirectX to 8.0 whereas "-dxlevel 80" didn't above! Figure that one out, but now I'm in the 30-60FPS range for whole rooms! Much preferable.



Also, I discover that my two monitors are not equal using Nvidia Twinview... you get +15PFS for putting the game on the main monitor... I'm going to guess you get even more for going fullscreen, but I just can't make myself.

Testing out in real ingame settings, I get FPS's that go down to 15 or so when there's a whole bunch of people on the screen, but I think I can configure that away.

So! There you go! TF2 on Linux! I still need to configure my gamepad to work, or else I have to relearn key positions and that will make me so, so sad. I need to figure out how to get a working console. I'll get back to you guys as I tinker on how things work out!


EDIT: Somehow a whole section of my post got eated by the Internets. So... onward!

Steam Friends and Steam Chat work fine... with a few caviats:



First off, because Steam uses the Windows Tahoma font, most of the text looks like a Smoker strangled it. Secondly... sometimes the text box won't let you type in it! I resized the window, tried to type, clicked Send a few times... eventually Steam will recognize your first amendment rights and let you send. 75% of the time it works out of the box, but be prepared. Thirdly... sometimes what you type doesn't appear untill the other person replies, no soap! I think this is because the window isn't redrawn until text comes in and wakes Wine up? Maybe? Fourthly, beware of minimizing Steam windows:

Click for image:
http://images.autodmc.org/d/79-1/WineMinimizingGlitch.jpg

OMG! I minimized the chat window and brought it back up, and I get this: a 50px square bit of window and nothing else. When I try to drag the 50px square... the "volume" of the window is still there and not being redrawn by Wine, so you get a copy of the background pixels... and if you drag a window over it you get window hash. Hmm! Looks like when Windows hangs a program (except that all my other windows work just fine, unlike Real Windows :D ). There's an easy fix for this:

Click for image:
http://images.autodmc.org/d/85-1/FixSteamMinimizeBug.jpg

Right click on the bit of window that does appear. Although it might not be drawn, these windows do have an upper-left command icon, which brings down the old school Windows 3.11 Command Menu. From here, click "restore" and POP! Steam redraws the window and everyone's happy!
 
Last edited:
And so, according to my calculations, I lived in blissful ignorance that for nine days, all those screenshots I posted were invisible to everyone else by dent of a bad server permission in my gallery software.

I might have gotten TF2 to work, but a small checkbox in my server config? NOPE.

In further news, running TF2 with Crossover Linux is a bit better quality output, but I don't know if it's worth so many doubloons comparatively... although I wish to support Open Source.

Framerates are a bit higher (10fps? Maybe) if I use Crossover, but I have to turn off my dual-monitors AND make TF2 fullscreen D:

Still tinkering... SOUND (from the mike) does not work, and during Monday Madness my net connection just crashed.

SO, it's possible, I've just not found the magic mix of awesome to get it to work well. More details as I hack my own computer.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top